Forums > MaxMSP

Hide connections but still make 'em

May 22, 2008 | 12:56 am

This is something I’ve wanted since v. 4. Hide all connections but still be able to make connections. As it is, it’s nearly impossible to make new connections in a busy patch without moving things all over the place.

Maybe the cable could be visible while drawing it but when connected, could fade out or remain visible while holding an option key, for instance.


May 22, 2008 | 1:07 am

Quote: cebec wrote on Wed, 21 May 2008 17:56
—————————————————-
> This is something I’ve wanted since v. 4. Hide all connections but still be able to make connections. As it is, it’s nearly impossible to make new connections in a busy patch without moving things all over the place.
>
> Maybe the cable could be visible while drawing it but when connected, could fade out or remain visible while holding an option key, for instance.
>
—————————————————-

Not quite what you wantand you probably know already, but using send, receive, and patchers help tidy things. they’ve cleaned up my patches immensely.


May 22, 2008 | 1:10 am

Yes, good point. Better patching practices would help a lot in this instance.
I still would appreciate the additional feature, of course.


May 22, 2008 | 2:06 am

We intend to do something like a fading out connection at some point in the near future. In the meantime, perhaps it is too obvious to mention, but one of the reasons to zoom in is to deal with busy patches.

David Z.


May 22, 2008 | 11:32 am

matt schrieb:
> This is something I’ve wanted since v. 4. Hide all connections but
> still be able to make connections. As it is, it’s nearly impossible
> to make new connections in a busy patch without moving things all
> over the place.
>
> Maybe the cable could be visible while drawing it but when connected,
> could fade out or remain visible while holding an option key, for
> instance.

seconded. This would be nice and I wanted it for a long time as well…

The suggestion with send/receive isn’t helpfull if the main reason for a
lot of cables is a bunch of preset objects connected to a million of UI
objects, (if the amount of cables is too big already, you wouldn’t want
to add the same amount of objects… ;-)

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


May 22, 2008 | 12:36 pm

A method for un-aligning all selected cables would be a nice addition, as well.
Further, I think, though alt-click-drag is good for selecting multiple cables, a way to select only the cables and not the objects in the selection region would be a useful feature, i.e., the opposite of how a regular click-drag only selects objects and not cables.


May 22, 2008 | 12:58 pm

matt wrote:
> A method for un-aligning all selected cables would be a nice addition, as well.
> Further, I think, though alt-click-drag is good for selecting multiple cables, a way to select only the cables and not the objects in the selection region would be a useful feature, i.e., the opposite of how a regular click-drag only selects objects and not cables.
>

alt-click-drag -> sel-click-drag does that (ok it’s 2 movements ;)


May 22, 2008 | 1:23 pm


May 22, 2008 | 5:31 pm

On May 22, 2008, at 5:36 AM, matt wrote:

> Further, I think, though alt-click-drag is good for selecting
> multiple cables, a way to select only the cables and not the objects
> in the selection region would be a useful feature, i.e., the
> opposite of how a regular click-drag only selects objects and not
> cables.

Option-drag to select all objects and patchcords in your drag path,
then shift-drag over the same path, which de-selects the objects,
leaving only the patchcords selected.

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com


May 22, 2008 | 9:53 pm

gusano wrote:
> matt wrote:
>> A method for un-aligning all selected cables would be a nice
>> addition, as well.
>> Further, I think, though alt-click-drag is good for selecting
>> multiple cables, a way to select only the cables and not the objects
>> in the selection region would be a useful feature, i.e., the opposite
>> of how a regular click-drag only selects objects and not cables.
>>
>
> alt-click-drag -> sel-click-drag does that (ok it’s 2 movements ;)
>


Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)