Forums > Dev

HoaLibrary

October 22, 2012 | 3:46 pm

Hi,

The CICM is pleased to share the HoaLibrary. Hoa Library is a collection of C++ classes and MAX/MSP objects destined to high order ambisonic sound reproduction. It‘s totally free and made availlable by CICM, a research center bi-localized between Paris 8 University and the MSH. The library is available for OSX and Windows on the HoaLibrary website :

http://www.mshparisnord.fr/hoalibrary/en/

Feedback are welcome.

Anne Sèdes
Alain Bonardi
Julien Colafrancesco
Pierre Guillot
Eliott Paris

October 22, 2012 | 4:54 pm

hhmmm
this might be something i need.
how does it compare to existing things, like the Jamoma package ambisonics things and ICST ambisonics tools and Ircam Spatialisateur ?

edti : i forgot to say thanks. Thanks a lot !

October 22, 2012 | 6:21 pm

Looks amazing, thanks for making and sharing this! I will test this soon…

October 23, 2012 | 5:07 pm

This looks like a cool ( and timely for me) Ambisonic tool set. I look forward to checking it out in more detail. And the Binaural ‘virtuarlizer’ is a nice bonus for those of us with limited speaker rigs. Thanks.

October 27, 2012 | 3:35 pm

Thanks everybody,
I can’t list all the differences between the ICST, IRCAM, etc… and the HoaLibrary.
Our main goal is to create a library for musicians that allows you to create sound fields and play easily with the circular harmonics. That why we’ve elaborate the hoa.plug~ object and and ambisonics effects like the hoa.wider~, hoa.grain~, etc… There’re also ambisonics UI objects, we hope that it could help people to understand the circular harmonics. For people who knows well ambisonics, we’ve made objects like the projector and recomposer that discretize the ambisonic soundfield into an array of virtual loudspeakers.
The library is a for 2 dimension array of loudspeaker because most of the people have only access to this loudspeaker configuration. The binaural has been elaborated for those who don’t have a least 3 loudspeakers or want to work in a cafe… like me. We’re working on externals that allows to use this library on systems like 5.1 or 7.1without too much distortions. We also want to create a 3 D version but it’s not one of our main goal.
The library is free and open source, we think that it’s important for electroacoustic music and research.
I think we can’t explain all the library on this forum, for more informations you should look at the website. We hope that you enjoy it. If you have any suggestion, we will be pleased to know it.

Cheers

February 27, 2013 | 3:50 pm

Hi everbody,
The CICM is pleased to announce the release of the HoaLibrary version 1.1 :

- 4 new graphic user interface tools.
- an ambisonics reverb convolution.
- a stereo decoder
- a lot of new effects
- and more…

You can download it in our website.
Currently for Mac users only, but windows version is comming soon…

and feedback are still welcome.

March 17, 2013 | 12:42 am

HoaLibrary version 1.1 now available for windows …

[attachment=217964,5200]

Attachments:
  1. HoaLibraryv1.1.png

March 18, 2013 | 2:43 pm

Thanks alots

June 1, 2013 | 7:24 pm

This is amazing. I downloaded it and can’t figure out why the binaural object isn’t reading the hrtf library. If there are any obvious answers, I would much appreciate it.

June 1, 2013 | 7:44 pm

@SAMFM1163
In the current version of the library (mac 1.2 / win 1.1), the hoa.binaural~ object need to have hrtf library installed in the right path to work.

from the README.txt :
mac : The "HrtfDatabase" folder must be put in "/Library/Application Support/CicmLibrary/"
win : The "HrtfDatabase" folder must be put in "C:/ProgramData/CicmLibrary/"
If the "CicmLibrary" folder don’t exist please create it.

—————-

This will change in the next release (version 1.3) ..comming as soon as possible :
- hoa.decoder~ will support standard ambisonics decoder mode, binaural mode (with HrtfDatabase embed), irregular configuration mode[...]

Cheers

June 2, 2013 | 3:26 pm

Ah, very cool. For some reason the automatic installer wasn’t installing the hrtf library folder. I found it in the manual installer. Again, thank you. This just made it so much easier for me and my friend who are collaborating and experimenting with a set up that we put together. Instead of catching a bus to Cincinnati every time I want to try something, I can send him a binaural sketch! At least thats my goal.

Cheers

July 26, 2013 | 2:22 am

I was getting the Hrtf library not loading error as well.

With the 1.2 Mac auto-install it seems like the HrtfDatabase folder is getting installed to the user Library folder (~/Library/…) instead of the global Library folder (/Library/…). Happened to me on 10.6.8 and 10.8.4. Once I moved it to the correct Library the Hrtf database loaded fine.

November 14, 2013 | 1:10 pm

Hi,

I’m working on Windows and I have the same problem with the binaural~ object. I followed the procedure recomended, but still, binaural~ doesn’t work and i keep receiving a message on the max window saying "HRTF Database not loaded". How can I load it?

Thanks.

November 14, 2013 | 3:28 pm

Hi,

I need more informations. Do you use Max 5 or 6, 32bits or 64bits ? Which version of the Hoa Library ? We have recently updated the Hoa Library (version 1.3.1). If you use Max 6, you can use it. With the last version, the HRTFS folder must be in the objects folder.

Best,

Pierre

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)