Forums > MaxMSP

holiday tunes…

December 4, 2007 | 3:17 am

Hey everyone –

I did this little max/msp standalone application last year, but I
finished it fairly late in ‘the season’. It generates slow/ambient
variations on some of my fave holiday tunes. I just UB-ized it
(Windows version also available) and thought people might get a kick
out of it this year:

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad/holiday2007/

And for OSX users, I turned the original patch into a Dashboard widget:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/hohoho2dmatic.html

ho ho ho indeed!

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad


December 4, 2007 | 9:32 am

Lovely! Thanks, Brad.

Op 4-dec-2007, om 4:17 heeft garton@columbia.edu het volgende
geschreven:

> Hey everyone –
>
> I did this little max/msp standalone application last year, but I
> finished it fairly late in ‘the season’. It generates slow/ambient
> variations on some of my fave holiday tunes. I just UB-ized it
> (Windows version also available) and thought people might get a
> kick out of it this year:
>
> http://music.columbia.edu/~brad/holiday2007/
>
> And for OSX users, I turned the original patch into a Dashboard
> widget:
>
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/hohoho2dmatic.html
>
> ho ho ho indeed!
>
> brad
> http://music.columbia.edu/~brad
>
>
>
>
>


December 5, 2007 | 9:42 am

garton@columbia.edu schrieb:
> And for OSX users, I turned the original patch into a Dashboard widget:
>
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/hohoho2dmatic.html
>
> ho ho ho indeed!

Do you have a little "How to turn Max/MSP patches into Dashboard
widgets?" Or does it only work with RTCmix?…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


December 6, 2007 | 2:57 pm

I wish I did have a way to convert max/msp patches into scriptable or
imbedded programs, but alas… I grabbed the RTcmix parts of the
max/msp patch and used them in the Dashboard widget. RTcmix has an
ancient/unix/command-line&file heritage, which makes it easy to imbed
inside other applications. I would love to see this capability
available for max/msp developers.

I realize that you could possibly do this by converting the patch to a
plugin and using that API, or by building a standalone with a
non-existent window and using a socket of some kind to communicate to
it, but these aren’t all that, uh, ‘elegant’.

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

Quoting Stefan Tiedje :

> garton@columbia.edu schrieb:
>> And for OSX users, I turned the original patch into a Dashboard widget:
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/music/hohoho2dmatic.html
>>
>> ho ho ho indeed!
>
> Do you have a little "How to turn Max/MSP patches into Dashboard
> widgets?" Or does it only work with RTCmix?…
>
> Stefan
>
> —
> Stefan Tiedje————x——-
> –_____———–|————–
> –(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
> — _|_)—-|—–()————–
> ———-()——–www.ccmix.com
>
>


December 6, 2007 | 3:27 pm

Hi Brad,

This is precisely the kind of thing that you _can_ do fairly easily in Pd
(as the gui and pd process run in different threads and just communicate
with each other, you can run Pd headless.)

Whether this sort of functionality will be available in Max 5 remains to
be seen I guess.

cheers,
Andrew

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, garton@columbia.edu wrote:

> I wish I did have a way to convert max/msp patches into scriptable or
> imbedded programs, but alas… I grabbed the RTcmix parts of the max/msp
> patch and used them in the Dashboard widget. RTcmix has an
> ancient/unix/command-line&file heritage, which makes it easy to imbed inside
> other applications. I would love to see this capability available for
> max/msp developers.
>
> I realize that you could possibly do this by converting the patch to a plugin
> and using that API, or by building a standalone with a non-existent window
> and using a socket of some kind to communicate to it, but these aren’t all
> that, uh, ‘elegant’.
>
> brad


December 6, 2007 | 4:23 pm

interesting, so do you have a little "How to turn PD patches into Dashboard
widgets?", Andrew??

: )

Sam

On 06/12/2007, Andrew Brouse wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> This is precisely the kind of thing that you _can_ do fairly easily in Pd
> (as the gui and pd process run in different threads and just communicate
> with each other, you can run Pd headless.)
>
> Whether this sort of functionality will be available in Max 5 remains to
> be seen I guess.
>
> cheers,
> Andrew
>
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, garton@columbia.edu wrote:
>
> > I wish I did have a way to convert max/msp patches into scriptable or
> > imbedded programs, but alas… I grabbed the RTcmix parts of the max/msp
> > patch and used them in the Dashboard widget. RTcmix has an
> > ancient/unix/command-line&file heritage, which makes it easy to imbed inside
> > other applications. I would love to see this capability available for
> > max/msp developers.
> >
> > I realize that you could possibly do this by converting the patch to a plugin
> > and using that API, or by building a standalone with a non-existent window
> > and using a socket of some kind to communicate to it, but these aren’t all
> > that, uh, ‘elegant’.
> >
> > brad
>


December 6, 2007 | 4:38 pm

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Samuel Freeman wrote:

> interesting, so do you have a little "How to turn PD patches into Dashboard
> widgets?", Andrew??

No, it was Brad that did it, not me.
I guess you could use a hook from the Widget into a command-line app.
I was just commenting that could use Pd to build an encapsulated version
of RTcmix or whatever. I was also passing a subtle hint that that might be
an interesting feature for Max 5. (headless encapsulated apps)

happy holidays,
Andrew


December 6, 2007 | 5:07 pm

It’s really easy if you have something that can be invoked via
comand-line. In the widget javascrupt:

widget.system("command-line process here", callbackwhenfinished);

A little trickier if you want to send dynamically from the javascript
code, though.

And I second the ‘headless encapsulated apps’ notion, obviously!

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

Quoting Andrew Brouse :

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Samuel Freeman wrote:
>
>> interesting, so do you have a little "How to turn PD patches into Dashboard
>> widgets?", Andrew??
>
> No, it was Brad that did it, not me.
> I guess you could use a hook from the Widget into a command-line app.
> I was just commenting that could use Pd to build an encapsulated
> version of RTcmix or whatever. I was also passing a subtle hint that
> that might be an interesting feature for Max 5. (headless encapsulated
> apps)
>
> happy holidays,
> Andrew


Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)