How do I get one sound to interrupt the previous sound in Max 5?

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:45am

How do I get one sound to interrupt the previous sound in Max 5?

If I have a sound that is both played and sent to a delay at the same time how do I tell max to silence the original sound, once the delayed sound is being played?

..And how would I tell the next sound played to silence the previous sound (and so on)?

I’m sure there must be a way of doing this, it sounds easy enough but I am very much out of practice!

Thanks in advance.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:10am

I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to do, but in the simplest sense I assume that you have a sound being played while simultaneously going to an audio delay network. Let’s say the delay is set to 5000ms (5 seconds), and your original sound is being played out of a [groove~] object. All you’d have to do is add a [*~] object after the [groove~] object, connecting the output of the [groove~] object to the left input of the [*~] object. Then, just send a 0 into the other inlet of the [*~] object when you want it to mute (i.e. 5000 ms after you start it). You can use a [delay] or [pipe] object to delay a bang that mutes the original sound.

If you’re not using a groove~ object or otherwise not “starting” the sound with a bang or in some easily triggerable way (i.e. if you’re just talking into a microphone or something), then you’ll have to generate a bang by detecting the “start” of your sound (i.e. set up a [average~ rms] –> [>~] –> [change~]) and then delay that bang by the amount of delay that you are using. Thus, once the delay kicks in, your original sound will be muted.

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:59am

Rhys Perkins schrieb:
> If I have a sound that is both played and sent to a delay at the same
> time how do I tell max to silence the original sound, once the
> delayed sound is being played?
>
> ..And how would I tell the next sound played to silence the previous
> sound (and so on)?

This is sometimes called ducking, if one signal exceeds a certain level
another signal is suppressed and vice versa (Skype wouldn’t work without
that…;-)

You need a sort of envelope follower, to monitor the level of one
signal, to gate the other signal according to its level. Beware of
clicks, use an envelope to apply smooth changes…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.