How do you control the midi clock of an external program from max?

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:35am

How do you control the midi clock of an external program from max?

okay, i’m sure this must be covered elsewhere, but i can’t find it in the tutorials or by searching the forum here:

I want to control the transport of a external device or program via MIDI, from within max. Specifically, I am trying to control the transport of two instances of Renoise from within Max, by sending MIDI data from MIDI Yoke in Max to each these programmes indepedantly or in sync. I can get both instances of Renoise to receive midi info from max, so its just how to get send midi timing information to control the transport which i’m stuck with.

Now, this is possible with one instance of Renoise via Rewire. However, it would appear that it is not possible to currently slave two instances or Renoise to max msp as Rewire master. Therefore I wish to do the same thing with one or both instances of renoise with MIDI clock and sync information which is sent from a patch in max.

I’ve looked at the sync~ object but I can’t understand how you send timing info to Renoise with this. Presumably this is possible though? I mean the concept should be the same as if I wanted to sync an external synth or drum machine via a clock controlled in max? How would you do that?

Can anyone offer some pointers or perhaps an example patch of how I go about this? Initially I don’t need to do anything that complex, just stopping and starting the transport in each programme and adjusting the speed etc. thanks in advance

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:41pm

Here is a patch of a MIDI clock generator.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Feb 1, 2010 at 3:02pm

thanks!

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:48pm

I’ve just noticed that in my patch the value type of the BPM number box didn’t correspond to the unit style, which may lead to inaccuracy. It’s fixed in the following update.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Feb 2, 2010 at 4:31am

thanks this has been really useful. i’ve used this as a basis to make the patch i describe for controlling the renoises. although i think rewire would still be the way to go, but it needs renoise to implement multiple slave instances of the program… but this is another story, i managed to make my proof of concept anyway and it works so thanks!

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:15pm

Hi guys!

I am looking for a MIDI clock to feed through physical MIDI cables (from Max to physical gear via a MIDI interface). Will this patch do this? I.e. will the real world objects understand the signal as MIDI clock?

(I’ve copied the patch, but it’ll be a while before I can test it… Just thought that perhaps broc knows what this will and will not do.)

Thanks!!

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:49pm

Yes, the patch can also be used to sync external devices.
Just select the corresponding MIDI port of your interface.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:11pm

Thanks a lot broc! I’ll try it out next week:-)

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:43am

It is all working like the proverbial charm! Thanks broc!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.