Forums > Jitter

How do you handle a massive slab/effects chain?

May 13, 2010 | 3:40 pm

I'm pretty happy with my performance patch lately because I've been adding a lot of new effects and abilities, but my FX chain is starting to get out of hand, and I think I need to make a move to a better level of control somehow and stop relying on my methods from a couple years ago. Attached is an image of my current slabchain with CPU effects on top (orange) then gpu effects in red and yellow

Essentially I have the uneffected video flow into this slab chain and then out to a bunch of gl.meshes.

I know disconnecting/reconnecting gl textures in different orders can cause problems if done very rapidly, so I don't think I can script something more automatic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Currently there is just a giant switcher subpatch that allows midi controls to turn each umenu to on or off which in turn turns the video gates on or off. i.e I slam a pad and it turns on a blur and turns it off when I let go.

I'd like to be able to change the position of an effect in the chain without it taking 5 minutes of re-wiring, but I'm not sure of the best way to do that.

Anyone got a jitter tutorial I missed or a way that they handle 40 different effects and keep them from running off the screen? I dont think something like matrixctrl is quite what im looking for either

And yes I could downsize..but..why?

[attachment=132380,541]

Attachments:
  1. slabchain.png

August 24, 2013 | 11:30 am

I’m interested in this too, did you get something good?

I was looking to this system but is CC non-commercial, I’m not building and selling patches but I sell my performance, so…

August 24, 2013 | 11:47 am

"I was looking to this system but is CC non-commercial, I’m not building and selling patches but I sell my performance, so…"

That makes for an interesting discussion. The CC applies to the ‘mr. matrix’ routing system developed in max. But i really doubt leafcutterjohn meant for it to block you from selling performances with it.

A ‘derivative work’ sold commercially would have to entail a distribution of a similar piece of software. I don’t think the part of the license which governs ‘derivative works’ and what is ‘commercial’, would be able to govern a piece of music created and performed using the software(fender owned the copyright to a stratocaster, the performance in which jimi hendrix plays and burns that stratocaster is not a derivative of the functionality of the stratocaster(he was not selling/distributing a new kind of stratocaster)… he was allowed to make money off of the performance).

But this is just how i understand it, would love any clarification from lawyers out there or even leafcutterjohn if possible.

[Edit: also helps to look at blurry cases: what if someone wanted to screen capture a video of the software in performance and then sell that? that is also not a 'derivative work' nor even a part of the same class of media which would be distributed: the app itself, when distributed can be used for a certain function, the video itself, when distributed, can not be used for the same function(the user must have the app which the video describes to use any of the functionality governed by the cc license).... this is a matter of what kind of media the cc license actually governs. In mr. matrix, it only governs a piece of software, specifically a max patch, with a certain kind of functionality.

In any case, very considerate of you, Esnho, to be so careful. ]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)