Forums > MaxMSP

How do you interact with subpatchers without inlets?

April 13, 2009 | 6:12 pm

Hello, I’m pretty new to Max and there’s something pretty basic that I’m trying to do and can’t seem to figure out.

I made a patcher called "envelope" that has within it a function object that sends data out through a line~. My question is, how can I make it so that this function-graph thing will show up when I create the object "envelope" in a new patcher?

In a more general sense, I want to be able to create an object that appears as an organized collection of the subpatcher’s "innards." I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

April 13, 2009 | 7:10 pm

bpatcher?

April 13, 2009 | 7:11 pm

Just going through this part of the learning curve myself. You could create an abstraction from your patch. First need to add inlet and outlet objects as appropriate. Secondly, arrange the objects as you’ll want to see them in presentation mode. Finally, you can include the abstraction in a new patch using bpatcher. There are tutorials on all three stages: abstractions, presentation mode and bptchers.

Cheers

April 13, 2009 | 9:34 pm

Great, thanks very much! I knew there was a way.

April 15, 2009 | 2:27 am
CamelZero wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 13:12
Hello, I’m pretty new to Max and there’s something pretty basic that I’m trying to do and can’t seem to figure out.

I made a patcher called "envelope" that has within it a function object that sends data out through a line~. My question is, how can I make it so that this function-graph thing will show up when I create the object "envelope" in a new patcher?

In a more general sense, I want to be able to create an object that appears as an organized collection of the subpatcher’s "innards." I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

yes, bpatcher if you want to see what’s there and interact with it. Don’t forget about send and receive, or using inlets and outlets to communicate with your patches. Also look into [pattrstorage] for saving settings and recalling them for your (possibly many) bpatchers. Use a pattrstorage on the top level and set @greedy to 1. It’ll see whatever objects you’ve "pattr-ized" in your bpatchers and you can store all your settings.

For ones that you want to have available and to edit, and possibly change a few things for each, use subpatches. These can have their own presets (unlike ones in bpatchers or abstractions which are shared, you change them in the master patch). However, you can check the "Embed in Parent" for a bpatcher in the Inspector, which lets it behave more like a subpatch which can have its own presets. Otherwise, any new settings you make in a non-embedded bpatcher are there only for that session, then revert to the settings in the master file upon reload.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)