Forums > MaxMSP

How many people use Max?

September 26, 2008 | 3:44 am

Curious… if it’s secret info that’s fine, I’m just wondering if there are any official stats on how many copies have been sold of the earlier versions and of 5. Also am curious about the distribution of the sales worldwide, as it seems there’s a strong international community for it. Maybe stemming from its early progenitors at IRCAM?

The reason I’m curious is that it’s such an infinitely extensible program, and such a great "Swiss Army Knife" for so many projects… including getting other applications and hardware to talk to each other without tons of difficult programming. Yet it still seems that its user base is smaller than many other apps, and that’s puzzling to me because it kicks so much butt. You can get really cool stuff up and running in no time, then tweak it pretty much forever. Hard to say that about most other apps when you consider the lengths you can go in this environment.

Hopefully it’s spreading fast and more people are being bitten by the Max bug… especially with the incredible rework for 5… it’s totally addictive and powerful!

–CJ

Eli
September 26, 2008 | 5:28 am

Over 9000

September 26, 2008 | 7:41 pm

Seejay & Eli,

I too am curious about this. I’m getting ready to release a patch
online, and I’d like to know how many downloads is "successful" as
compared to the total MaxMSP user base. Eli, where do you get 9,000
from? Anyone of any authority able to speak on the matter?

-Jerzy Gangi

On 9/25/08, Seejay James wrote:
>
> Curious… if it’s secret info that’s fine, I’m just wondering if there are any official stats on how many copies have been sold of the earlier versions and of 5. Also am curious about the distribution of the sales worldwide, as it seems there’s a strong international community for it. Maybe stemming from its early progenitors at IRCAM?
>
> The reason I’m curious is that it’s such an infinitely extensible program, and such a great "Swiss Army Knife" for so many projects… including getting other applications and hardware to talk to each other without tons of difficult programming. Yet it still seems that its user base is smaller than many other apps, and that’s puzzling to me because it kicks so much butt. You can get really cool stuff up and running in no time, then tweak it pretty much forever. Hard to say that about most other appswhen you consider the lengths you can go in this environment.
>
> Hopefully it’s spreading fast and more people are being bitten by the Max bug… especially with the incredible rework for 5… it’s totally addictive and powerful!
>
> –CJ
>

September 26, 2008 | 8:08 pm

Having a total number of sales to individuals as well as lab packs sold to universities or schools would be interesting to know. Of course one can’t really determine how many students use it in the labs, or how much they actually use it, but some numbers would be a start. I do think that anyone who personally buys it will at least use it a moderate amount, but lab copies might not get that same level of use.

This could be helped by having instructors in New Media programs incorporate it into their classes more. It’s not necessary at all to have "a Max class" to at least introduce some of what it can do: when showing the major apps like Photoshop, Logic, Final Cut, etc., a max-savvy teacher could help students understand some of what’s going on under the hood with simple patches that demonstrate things like signal processing, color saturation, MIDI generation and sequencing, etc. The right patches could help students explore this in a sort of abstracted sense…then they would understand more of the "hidden workings" of the familiar apps. I certainly would have benefited from something like this while learning them.

In fact, a "digital media experimentation kit" created with Max could be really valuable to students in these programs, or to anyone who fiddles with digital media (um, pretty much everyone). It would help people understand about the data as well as the logic, which is good because many software users take things for granted in applications, without thinking about how they work or how they might be made better.

9000…. seems pretty low?

–CJ

kjg
September 26, 2008 | 8:40 pm

raise your hand if you use max…

September 26, 2008 | 8:49 pm

Right here.
I use Max/MSP/Jitter

Very happy i am, and will continue to keep doing so…

kjg
September 26, 2008 | 8:57 pm

Quote: Lewis G. Edwards wrote on Fri, 26 September 2008 22:49
—————————————————-
> Right here.

wow… this is gonna be a long thread…

September 26, 2008 | 9:05 pm

hehehe

well, at least it seems like it’s spreading well. whenever I’m in class and fiddling with things, other students say "what the heck is that??" … and I just smile and say "it’s whatever you want it to be". It really does get one thinking outside the box, since the box is totally up to you.

now if they would just hire me to teach it, all would be well in the world, and there’d be whole crops of new Max fanatics out there. ah well, someday…

September 27, 2008 | 1:18 am

Quote: Lewis G. Edwards wrote on Fri, 26 September 2008 13:49
—————————————————-
> I use Max/MSP/Jitter
—————————————————-

+1

September 27, 2008 | 7:29 am

If we count just our students here, we have at least generate 500-600
in the last decade in Huddersfield…

I think this is very, very difficult to say.

anyway, funny thread

pa

September 27, 2008 | 10:27 am

I bought max 5 some days ago and got reciept number 17000 something

September 27, 2008 | 4:55 pm

I’m just happy there are ten people who would be unafraid to tell the world they use Max.

But I am asked this question a lot, and I wonder what it means.

Do we need a certain number to count as a success? To me it’s an incredible success that a bunch of people can be employed full time to work on this crazy product who are supported entirely by people who want to use it. Also cool is that there are people who make their living using Max. That just seemed inconceivable to me 20 years ago.

It’s also not clear how you count Max users. It’s not the same as counting people who own Labradoodles for example. Do we count someone who bought Max five years ago, went through the tutorials to number 23, but then put the software on a shelf?

I’m not saying it’s an invalid question. But since Cycling ’74 doesn’t really need to answer to anyone, we’ve never felt the need to answer it accurately.

Here’s another related question that I think is also fun: how many people claim to use Max but really don’t?

David Z.

zoe
September 27, 2008 | 5:04 pm

> how many people claim to use Max but really don’t?

i’ll give this one its first autoclaimed member.

September 27, 2008 | 5:40 pm

> how many people claim to use Max but really don’t?

How many people don’t claim not to use Max?

(sorry, I’m in that kind of mood this morning… :-))

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

Eli
September 27, 2008 | 5:45 pm

I base my claim that there are over 9000 Max users on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq5csKvXCT4

And it’s true, there are over 9000 Max users, so I’m right. (:

September 29, 2008 | 2:27 am

I can’t resist posting to this rather bizarre thread! I think David’s
made the most important point of all. Max sells enough copies to allow
a "bunch of people" at Cycling ’74 to pay their rent (I hope!.) What’s
even more important (and impressive) is that the user base has remained
both large enough and stable enough to keep Max commercially viable (and
actively developed) for quite a number of years. Isn’t that what
really counts?

Jon

David Zicarelli wrote:
> I’m just happy there are ten people who would be unafraid to tell the world they use Max.
>
> But I am asked this question a lot, and I wonder what it means.
>
> Do we need a certain number to count as a success? To me it’s an incredible success that a bunch of people can be employed full time to work on this crazy product who are supported entirely by people who want to use it. Also cool is that there are people who make their living using Max. That just seemed inconceivable to me 20 years ago.
>
> It’s also not clear how you count Max users. It’s not the same as counting people who own Labradoodles for example. Do we count someone who bought Max five years ago, went through the tutorials to number 23, but then put the software on a shelf?
>
> I’m not saying it’s an invalid question. But since Cycling ’74 doesn’t really need to answer to anyone, we’ve never felt the need to answer it accurately.
>
> Here’s another related question that I think is also fun: how many people claim to use Max but really don’t?
>
> David Z.
>
>
>

Jon Hallstrom
Dept. of Music, Colby College
5674 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901
207-859-5674

September 29, 2008 | 4:53 am

I agree.

I think, that if people are using Max/MSP/Jitter, plus with new users signing on every so often. Then I think that Cycling 74 have done there job, so to speak.
The user base might not be on the scale, say like Pro Tools, or Logic. But it is a user base none the less and it is extremely helpful, for which i am glad to be part of.
‘Geeks Of The World Unite’

And as for Davids question. I do use Max/MSP/Jitter. But am finding it hard to mess with it without a Laptop, because i only have an iMac, but hope to get a Macbook Pro very soon.
I have ideas when i am in taxis or around and about, so will be sorting it out to get into Max/MSP/Jitter more.

But so far, I am loving Max/MSP/Jitter. And cant wait till the SDK and Pluggo come out. It will be great.

September 29, 2008 | 6:45 am

Quote: David Zicarelli wrote on Sat, 27 September 2008 10:55
—————————————————-
> Do we need a certain number to count as a success?

No, definitely not. The obsession with quantity over quality has seeped into almost every part of life, so much so that the discussion of the latter as a self-sufficient entity (or, eh, quality, if you like) is ridiculed among certain people.

If it was just a matter of numbers and sales, Proust and his "Remembrance of Things Past" would constitute a footnote in the history of literature.

September 29, 2008 | 10:06 am

Brad Garton schrieb:
> How many people don’t claim not to use Max?

That can be answered up to a pretty little error percentage:

About 6.725 billion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

September 29, 2008 | 12:42 pm

Okay, who messed with the world population?
Apparently, 2 billion were just added..

kjg
September 29, 2008 | 2:39 pm

LET"S ALL SING TOGETHER! :D

If you’re maxing and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap)
If you’re maxing and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap)
If you’re maxing and you know it, then your face will surely show it
If you’re maxing and you know it, clap your hands. (clap clap)

If you’re maxing and you know it, stomp your feet (stomp stomp)
If you’re maxing and you know it, stomp your feet (stomp stomp)
If you’re maxing and you know it, stomp your feet. (stomp stomp)

If you’re maxing and you know it, shout "Hurray!" (hoo-ray!)

If you’re maxing and you know it, do all three (clap-clap, stomp-stomp, hoo-ray!)
If you’re maxing and you know it, do all three (clap-clap, stomp-stomp, hoo-ray!)
If you’re maxing and you know it, do all three. (clap-clap, stomp-stomp, hoo-ray!)

MJ
September 29, 2008 | 2:53 pm

….

and how many did actualy stay in 4.6 instead of going to 5….

;)

September 29, 2008 | 3:27 pm

As someone who currently has a 4-year old at home, this just made my day. Thanks for a good laugh!

–Nathan

September 30, 2008 | 4:01 am

I use Max, but maybe i’m just claiming to because if I claim to and really don’t, none of you would ever know. (…and i use Max5 mostly but have kept Max4.6 on my comp so that I can claim to use both.)

January 22, 2009 | 5:59 pm

Has anyone made any patches that use data from TouchOSC, either directly
or through OSCulator, that they’d be willing to share? I’m having a
tough time getting the trio to play nicely and I think it’s just because
I’m not understanding enough of the OSC basics. Something fairly simple
would be the most useful. Even a basic example of just dealing with
data from OSCulator would be helpful.

Thanks!

Jon

January 22, 2009 | 8:36 pm

I’m on Max/MSP/Jitter 4.6 now, want also to update to 5 soon..

January 23, 2009 | 4:30 am

Quote: Jonathan Hallstrom wrote on Thu, 22 January 2009 11:59
—————————————————-
> Has anyone made any patches that use data from TouchOSC, either directly
> or through OSCulator, that they’d be willing to share? I’m having a
> tough time getting the trio to play nicely and I think it’s just because
> I’m not understanding enough of the OSC basics. Something fairly simple
> would be the most useful. Even a basic example of just dealing with
> data from OSCulator would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jon
>
—————————————————-

Probably want a new thread for this, but here’s a sample patch. I did it awhile ago and don’t have a way to test it right now, but it did work then. There’s some feedback to the iPhone (so changes in the patch can be reflected back to the iPhone, and if you were wondering, there’s no feedback loop problems regarding having to use "set $1" etc., you can just send the data back), but not all controls are implemented for this part of it. However, all the incoming info should work fine. The data is collected in sends, and if you want the XY and accel data, just use the outlets from the XY control and the multislider as you see fit. It’s not totally finished but hopefully is understandable enough.

The OSC commands are really straightforward except for the matrixctrl (fourth screen in the Simple Layout of the touchOSC), this needed a bit of work to get the formatting right (check matrixctrl subpatch with the regexp). Open the gate on the "print" in the top left to see the raw commands coming in via the touchOSC. This patch only works for the "Simple" layout, but should help you utilize other layouts if you prefer—the formatting of the messages is similar.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)