How to change start position in groove~ without click

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:05am

How to change start position in groove~ without click

Hi,

I would like to manipulate groove~ object like mlr for monome.
But, I don’t know how to avoid the click when I change the position of the “playback head”. I must be able to change this postion at any time

Here, a little patch that explain my problem…

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Best regards

Alexandre

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:32pm

Whenever changing the position, you should apply a short fade-out, change the position and then apply a short fade-in.
Here is your patch modified accordingly.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:29am

Hi,

Thank you for your modification.
I had tested this principle but I had been disappointed about the result (latency).
I will try again with your patch.

Best regards

Alexandre

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:47pm

Overall the trick is normally to use two groove~ objects, and whenever you want to change your position you change it on the muted one, then crossfade to it, and then you alternate between the two.

This is similar to what’s done with ej.vdb~, m4l.vdelay~ etc., only with a buffer instead of a tapout~.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:13am
Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56am

While I agree that ‘a centralized collection of answers’ would be terrific, a person who is not inclined to search the forum with the handy provided “Search” box is unlikely to exert any greater effort to search any other location.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:59am

ah yes. good point. good point. ;D

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:17pm

The tutorials are equally helpful. But the Search link is invaluable. You just need to learn how to articulate and refine your key words.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:43pm

(just wanted to clarify: by putting things in bold, i simply increase the sense of drama and theater(because everything i do i do for comedy! there are no online forums posts anywhere on the internet which are completely free of self-absorption and selfishness) to draw attention to the fact that there is both the options of search, and a lone, masked(just on the face but completely naked everywhere else), madman who has created something of a centralized collection of answers, since even a search of these forums will not cover an organized diversity of options very well… articulating and refining key words is also great advice, but a beginner will not know key words to begin with… the fact that this question is the most commonly asked on the forums proves that neither forums nor included docs is organized well enough for beginners(on this particular subject). you all should do yourselves a favor and point them to ‘raja’slil’samplingtutorial’, it was made with 8 years of experience on these forums by a nice little obedient guy named ‘raja’ who died a horrible death from the strain of having to explain it so much ;)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.