Forums > MaxMSP

How to generate values from dragging on a matrixctrl?

April 28, 2014 | 7:08 pm

Is it possible to drag on a connection in a matrixctrl to produce more than just 0 and 1? In particular, is there a way to have a dial on each connection to control the gain of that connection or do I have to implement those dials separately from the matrixctrl and overlay?

April 28, 2014 | 10:33 pm

if in max6, see helpfile for matrixctrl under the ‘dialmode’ tab…
if in max5, see reference doc for matrixctrl under the listing for ‘dialmode’

it’s all there in the docs already ;D

April 29, 2014 | 3:56 am

Now I understand your username (grin)

I already experimented with dialmode, which according to the docs is a toggle. When I set it to 1 I could then drag between the discrete values 0 and 1.
However I am trying to use non-binary mode to control the gain at each connection so need to generate continuous values between 0.0 and 1.0, if I’m understanding matrix~ correctly.

Clearly I could do this by creating a matrix of my own dials and have them generate the appropriate 3-value lists but I thought that functionality was built in.

April 29, 2014 | 12:28 pm

"When I set it to 1 I could then drag between the discrete values 0 and 1."

with your own pic, you can do more(i can definitely get floating point values between 0 and 1 and dialmode is great for the non-binary mode of matrix~)… plus… i was only trying to help given the very basic phrasing in the OP :D

"i already experimented…"
most likely not enough ;)
(haha, no offense, though! you said now you understand my username so i figured i can now take a little more license over it ;D)

April 29, 2014 | 1:21 pm

Yeah, I did notice I could put higher values in but it was screwing up the image and I realized I’d have to create all new images.

Ultimately, I decided it would be easier to throw out the matrixctrl object and just put together a rectangle of dials to generate the row/col values as well as the gain. That had the extra benefit that I was able to transpose the coordinate system so that the rows are outputs and the cols are inputs —- similar to how the old EMS Putney matrix system worked.

I have it working quite nicely now but I really appreciate the feedback from everyone (and no, I don’t take offense easily :-)

April 29, 2014 | 1:33 pm

I’ve been banging on about how great dial mode is for years – search my posts for the same example repeated ad nauseam, which includes some graphics you can use.
Or just see the attached,
Cheers
Roger

Attachments:
  1. mctl-stuff-2.zip

April 29, 2014 | 1:39 pm

Thanks — I had found earlier references but had found that many attachments were missing so it was hard to actually figure out what others had done.
(http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/where-are-all-the-attachments/)

April 29, 2014 | 2:07 pm

"I have it working quite nicely now but I really appreciate the feedback from everyone (and no, I don’t take offense easily :-)"

nice! glad to hear you got it the way you need(and these days… i, myself, am trying not to freak-out/offend anyone specifically… only the entire forums, in a general but harmless way :D)

just wanted to add… and it may be very tangential or unuseful, but awhile back, i found an easy way to create pics for matrixctrl’s dialmode is to use javascript to automate photoshop.
here’s an example .jsx file in case it helps as a starter for anyone else(you probably don’t want to double-click the file if you have photoshop on your machine, it will then automate opening up photoshop and creating a 50+ layered dial image(which is also not very pretty looking)… and i don’t think the output .pct format works anymore in max6… but anyhoooo… there it is, in case it helps :)
please ignore this post if it doesn’t make sense(i haven’t looked at it in years, could not explain what i did and much of it is just borrowed blocks of code…).

Edit: no wait, i’m lost… that was probably for pictctrl, but the general ideas are similar :p

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)