Forums > MaxMSP

how to go about smooth looping samples from hard disk?

September 18, 2006 | 7:08 pm

hey,
I’m in the process of making a patch designed for live performance. I’m a bit of a burke when it comes to max btw- I’m trying to create something that works with the audio samples in a similar way to a patch I found called ‘lloop’ (http://lloopp.klingt.org/start.html) it basically crossfades very nicely between the start and end of a sample- and has a dialog box open that allows you to select what file to play back from the hard disk. I’m trying to go about using [sfplay] but I can’t incorporate either of these features. Has anyone out there done anything similar? Or know how to go about doing it? Or know of a downloadable patch that’ll help me out? I tried opening the lloop patch, but it’s set up so that you can’t access the whole window!
I know it’s a lot to ask, but if anyone out there could help me out, I’d be very grateful.
thanks
tom

September 19, 2006 | 5:11 pm

register wrote:
> I tried opening the lloop patch, but it’s set up so that you can’t
> access the whole window!

As far as I know lloopp is open source. That means you should be able to
find the real Max patch, open and edit, analyze, whatever….

I just downloaded it, and you can open and edit it. The window is very
small, but you can easily resize it to the whole screen (at least on OS
X, its the green knob on the top left side of the window…)

I guess (didn’t verify) that he is using buffer~s for the loops.
eventually xgroove~ from Thomas Grill which has a built in crossfade~
for loops…

Good luck for your research…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

September 20, 2006 | 1:44 am

hey,
thanks very much. I managed to get a closer look at the workings of lloopp, but there’s so much going on, I couldn’t find anything to do with what I’m after!
just checked out the xsample tools. They look useful, though I’m really looking for something similar to the xgroove object, but reading from the hard drive. A lot of processing will be done, so I’m going to need to free up as much memory as possible.
I only got so far with xgroove sadly. The documentation doesn’t seem to be downloadable any more, but looking at the features, it looks similar to what I’m hoping to achieve.
Been playing around with sfplay. One important question- is it possible to play a sample twice at two intervals out of sfplay? (ie, one on top of the other) If so, I’m thinking I could use the sfplay, analyse the sample length, and when it reaches a certain time near the end, it plays over itself and fades up – sounding like its crossfading back to the startpoint.
Please let me know if you think any of this is possible. Greatly appreciate any help.
thanks
tom

September 20, 2006 | 1:59 am

just looking around now, I had another thought- if I’m going to go about my above plan, is it possible to go about analysing the audio that sfplay is reading? I know you can with buffer / groove, but I can’t find any similar options for sfplay.
thanks very much!
tom

September 20, 2006 | 2:19 am

September 20, 2006 | 2:20 am

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)