How to intercept MIDI messages from a device before they get to your DAW?

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:30pm

How to intercept MIDI messages from a device before they get to your DAW?

Hello,

I’m trying to create a MIDI translator patch that takes controller input from my MIDI keyboard on channel 1, adds a bank select feature to multiply the number of virtual knobs, then sends the CCs out to Logic 9 using ctlout objects set to channel 2 on the From Max MSP 1 port. My problem is that the CCs are still being sent on channel 1 straight from the keyboard to Logic, so I guess I need some kind of MIDI grabber object that would intercept the messages before they go to Logic and send them into Max first. I know that in Ableton I could just open the preferences and de-select my keyboard as a MIDI input, but I can’t seem to find anywhere in Logic’s preferences that allows me to disengage specific MIDI ports. How can I get around this?

Thanks,
G

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:43pm

You can do this in Logic’s environment, click&ports layer.

Cable the port you want to disable from physical inputs to a new monitor object as “dead end”.
(This way the port is “subtracted” from the sum outlet.)

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:47pm

Note however that

A – blocking a port at the Physical Input object will not block messages from getting to Logic’s control surface layer or its midi-learn functionality (very annoying), and

B – Logic may rearrange the port order on the Physical Input object if MIDI devices are added or removed, so the saved state in a song may not be correct for the current MIDI setup, just keep that in mind.

Alternately, you can try using MidiPipe’s “hijack port” ability to block a port from Logic’s stupid greediness. Do that after starting Max, before you start Logic.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:06pm

Thanks for the tips, guess I’ll have to try and use MidiPipe to strip the signal from Logic, cause I hate nothing more than conflicting MIDI messages.
-G

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:34pm

Why exactly are you trying to do this?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.