How to know when attribute processing is done, even with no attributes specified

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:01pm

How to know when attribute processing is done, even with no attributes specified

Hi all,

In the C API there is the attr_args_process function that I call to process the attributes entered in an object box. In Java this happens automatically, from what I can see sometime after the constructor of the object has completed.

I would however like to know when the processing of attributes is complete, so that I can take action if an attribute has -not- been specified. Is there a function that can notify me when this has been done?

Many thanks,
Mattijs

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:35pm

Off the top of my head, I would be inclined to initialize _all_ values at the beginning of the new() method (before attribute processing happens), then let the attribute processing handle any overrides specified by @attribute parameters in the object initialization.

Yeah, so some attibutes may be set up twice (first to the default and then by the user override with an @attribute). Are you in that much of a hurry to worry about it?-)

Or am I missing something?

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:55am

Hi Peter!

Thanks for your reply. In this case initializing the attributes twice is exactly what I want to try to prevent. I’m working on my networking objects and depending on the attribute a server socket is initialized. Preferably I wouldn’t do that twice.

Btw I found a workaround for now: setting a Qelem at the end of the constructor to call my init method. It looks like the attribute setting has been done once the queue reaches it.

Best,
Mattijs

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:43pm

Hi Mattijs,

there is another way- probably more reliable:

declare the attribute with a custom getter and setter methods. When the object is instantiated the setter will be called with the right right attribute value.

Jan

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:02am

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply, although I think you misunderstood the problem; I do have custom getters and setters, but I need to know when they are called during the initialization sequence..

Thanks,
Mattijs

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.