Forums > Dev

how to load rebuilt external without reopening max?

August 9, 2010 | 9:10 pm

Hello,

just starting with external dev.

I have created a max external which loads fine. However, when I rebuild it with a slight change, it just keeps loading the older version of the external that I built previously. It’s only when I quit and restart max that it finds the new one.

This happens when destroying the object and creating a new one / retyping the object name etc. after rebuilding.

Is this normal? Is there a way around it?

Many thanks.

MIB
August 9, 2010 | 9:20 pm

I’m no expert at this but I think you can set the Runtime version of Max as the executable (extra bonus, you can now debug as well).

There is some info in this post:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=22928

I seem to remember an article a while ago on how to set it up step, by step. I’m sure if you do a search it will show up.

Good luck.

August 10, 2010 | 8:56 am

OK, thanks. I’ll try it and report back.

August 10, 2010 | 9:14 am

There is no way with a C-based external to reload without rebooting Max.

The scenario is different for java externals, which can be altered without the need to reboot, but you may prefer to develop in C for a variety of reasons.

Alex

August 10, 2010 | 11:10 am

I can’t believe it! It must be pretty inconvenient to develop externals in C. Is there no way to implement this – even in the future?

September 5, 2010 | 1:58 pm

Really? It’s too much of a pain to have to reload max every time.
Specially after playing with Java and Javascript.
I am one of those who prefer to develop in C for a variety of reasons.
I guess I will use Javascript for the quick and dirty stuff.
I was hoping for a way to work with C the way I work with Javascript. You send a "compile" and it reloads the file. Why not doing the same for C externals? Send a "refresh" and it reloads the external. Is it hard to do?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)