How to make a 2×2 grid of videos?

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:14am

How to make a 2×2 grid of videos?

I’m new to Jitter and really enjoying the power of it. I have a project that I have a feeling is pretty simple: make a 2×2 grid of videos, fullscreen.

I’m guessing the way to go about this is to make each of the videos be jit.qt.movie objects, and send them to a jit.window. I’m successfully doing this with one video. My problem is I can’t figure out how to place multiple windows on the jit.window, or how to make that window fullscreen on a specified monitor.

Can anyone think of a way to do this?

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:23am

jit.glue

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:22am

Short, sweet, and extremely effective. Perfect, thanks.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:49am

jit.glue is great and will do the trick, but look into jit.gl.videoplane (or jit.gl.gridshape with a texture) too. This could give you the 2X2 that you have now, but also give you all kinds of other controls over movement, scaling, rotation, etc. This way, the 2X2 display of 4 movies you wanted becomes only one setting of any number of new possibilities—it fills up the screen completely, and all movies are flat. No reason to restrict yourself to that when you can put a movie on any shape you want, move and stretch the shapes in space, make them transparent or opaque, etc… the GL capabilities are amazing. And with a preset you can go back to the original 2X2 flat display with one click.

jit.gl.videoplane is the easiest to start with as you can pipe a movie right into it. jit.gl.gridshape (or other similar ones) require a texture to be applied, but it’s still pretty simple once you get how they work with jit.gl.render.

trust me, it’s worth the time!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.