Forums > Max For Live

how to make a callbacks work in the liveapi js?

March 11, 2013 | 1:28 pm

Hi,

Im trying to work out how basic callbacks work in the js liveapi. Im using the following sample code but cant even seem to get a basic callback to work. My understanding is that the way this is supposed to work, is that I give the function an id and it listens to changes on that id and will output a result if a change occurs. However, when i delete the device with the id, it doesnt output anything. Any help understanding this would be much appreciated.

inlets=1;
outlets=2;

function list()
{
var input;
if(inlet==0)
input=arrayfromargs(arguments); // makes an array called "input" from the input list
post("the list contains",arguments.length, "elements"); // how many elements ( ids ) has our input list
post(input[0]); // post the first element (id) just to check its working

var api = new Array();

for (n=0;n

Lee
March 12, 2013 | 12:24 pm

From my experience, you don’t get notified for a given callback when something is deleted – you have to listen to the enclosing ‘container’ which will get called with a list of ids when those ids change (this is how my API works for spotting deletions of tracks/scenes/devices etc)

i.e. if you want to know when a track has been deleted, you need to listen to ‘live_set tracks’, rather than a specific ‘live_set tracks n’ – when a track is deleted (or added) you will get called with the current list of ids and you can figure out whether something has appeared or disappeared…

as a side note, are you on my api beta list? All this stuff is now implemented and you get appropriate callbacks :)

Lee
March 12, 2013 | 12:25 pm

btw, if anyone knows different, I’d be glad to know, but for me, a single generic js routine can handle addition/deletion of any type of entity…

Lee
March 12, 2013 | 12:33 pm

also, note that not everything as a property of ‘value’, e.g. if you want to listen to mute on a track then you listen to the ‘mute’ property…

March 12, 2013 | 5:14 pm

Hi Leehu,

Yep, im on your beta list, it looks fantastic. A little advanced for my basic js knowledge, so will take me some time to get into it fully. But nice work :)

Cheers

March 12, 2013 | 6:45 pm

One thing though, I couldnt see it monitoring chains inside racks, is this a feature of this tool? I could only get it to work on clips

Lee
March 15, 2013 | 3:15 am

HI, monitoring of chains is there – there is an option on the main gui – ‘rack macros only’ – make sure this is turned off if you want notifications from inside racks, chains etc – if this is turned on then only the macros for each element will be monitored – i added this mode as it’s quite common to not care what is inside a rack, only the exposed macros…. please let me know if this is not working for you….

hopefully, the users of the api will need little js knowledge – just be able to process all the messages that they’re interested in – once i get round to writing some docs I’ll hopefully explain this more :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)