How to reduce CPU work for non visible (or disable) objects …?

May 25, 2012 at 8:14am

How to reduce CPU work for non visible (or disable) objects …?

Hi you,

imagine my 3D world rendered with jit.gl
a lot of objects in this HUGE 3D virtual space

Should I handle by myself which require to be processed because it is visible or not, or does the system handles it by itself ?

I’d probably have to handle this on my own for the sound generation so, I could also include a routine to disable or remove temporary this or that object from the openGL rendering context because I’m far from it.

Any leads ?

May 25, 2012 at 8:23am

You can unactive a 3D objet with enable 0 attribute. put a gate that bypass signal trought object.
You can also put a gate on the qmetro input of 3D object chain.

Maybe you can enabled gate if your camera is in certain position?

May 25, 2012 at 8:44am

hi benjamin,
thanks for your answer.

in my case, I’m instantiating my objects with Java/JS
so I’d have to make a routine running each time I’m changing my cam view (rotating or movement) in order to check the distance between the cam & all objects (optimization using a grid possible) and to disable/enable objects..

I guess it could work

May 25, 2012 at 9:39am

Hi Julien,

I think this is exactly what Tarik was doing with Versum, maybe ask him?

May 25, 2012 at 9:42am

THE Tarik is maxi busy.
I met him in Leicester but I wasn’t as advanced in my project (at this time it was an iOS project only, now the iOS part would be my space navigator only :D)

But you all answered here: I have to handle this in my code/architecture :)

May 25, 2012 at 10:48pm

max GUI objects will still be processed also when not visible, and from what i know all jitter
objects do the same.

even if there are exceptions, i would for design reasons always go and implement custom
enable/disable stuff in my app.

May 25, 2012 at 10:51pm

I did it.
each time I move the cam, distances are calculated (that part would be improved with some grid neighborhood optimization) and beyond one limit, the OB3D is disabled.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.