Forums > Jitter

How to send a GL render to a videoplane?

May 10, 2007 | 4:07 pm

Let’s say I have two 3D opengl scenes, each rendering to its own gl.render. (Let’s call them GL3DA and GL3DB) I want to take each of those scenes, and have them shown on two separate videoplanes, themselves located within another 3D scene, let’s call it GLBillboard.

So the GLBillboard scene would show the two videoplanes, as if they were objects within the scene (billboards). Each videoplane would be showing a different 3D scene.

How do I do this? I am aware that I need to do something called a "readback", that turns the output of a gl.render queue into a texture, and then apply this texture to the videoplane.

However, I can’t find a lot of detail on how this is done.

Can anyone help me with this?

May 10, 2007 | 4:23 pm

Do your GL3DA and GL3DB scenes actually need to be in other contexts?
This will only complicate matters. If you’re not going to use the
other contexts for output, you can simulate having other contexts by
creating a command list with sketch and drawing GL3DA/B with 2 lists
that capture to texture via sketch. Then, you can display the
textures you captured to on videoplanes.

wes

On 5/10/07, Gian Pablo Villamil wrote:
>
> Let’s say I have two 3D opengl scenes, each rendering to its own gl.render. (Let’s call them GL3DA and GL3DB) I want to take each of those scenes, and have them shown on two separate videoplanes, themselves located within another 3D scene, let’s call it GLBillboard.
>
> So the GLBillboard scene would show the two videoplanes, as if they were objects within the scene (billboards). Each videoplane would be showing a different 3D scene.
>
> How do I do this? I am aware that I need to do something called a "readback", that turns the output of a gl.render queue into a texture, and then apply this texture to the videoplane.
>
> However, I can’t find a lot of detail on how this is done.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
>
>

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)