Forums > MaxMSP

How to stop Max from making virtual MIDI devices on Mac?

March 15, 2010 | 12:14 pm

I’m trying to work around a current bug in the intersection of Max and Apple’s latest Java MIDI support – see http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=24092 .

My question is whether there is a way to make Max (and specifically a standalone built with Max) *not* automatically create the "to MaxMSP" and "from MaxMSP" virtual MIDI devices on the Mac? I know I can delete them with the following code, but I’m trying to prevent them from being created in the first place…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Thanks,
Dan

March 15, 2010 | 12:18 pm

On the other hand I would like to know if there is a way to make them appear ;) I can’t find them in the first place !
Are they only created on the Mac version ??

March 15, 2010 | 12:28 pm

Yes, they are only automatically created on the Mac – I’m not sure that there is a built in function in the Windows OS that allows for it, unlike CoreMIDI on the Mac.

March 15, 2010 | 1:08 pm

It would be nice to have a preference for switching the creation of virtual ports on/off like eg. in Bidule. I’ve asked for this some time ago but didn’t get a definite answer from cycling. It’s probably hard-wired in some legacy code.

March 15, 2010 | 1:43 pm

Ok thanks for your answer Dan ! I have just installed Midi Yoke to get some virtual links.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)