Forums > MaxMSP

I am looking for Max's jobs

August 1, 2008 | 10:07 am

Hello,

I dare to post this here, I hope this is not against rules.

From time to time I see some jobs offers, why not post the complement ?

So if anyone is looking for someone or if you know a place where such offers are broadcated, please contact me.

Thanks a lot

August 1, 2008 | 12:17 pm

for non registred users, just click on my user name to send a private message via email.

August 1, 2008 | 1:22 pm

No it is not against the rules. While we are on the subject…
I am looking for Max jobs too! MSP, jitter, custom externals,
many years of experience.

August 1, 2008 | 1:27 pm

Maybe a dedicate forum section could be a good idea.

Especially to avoid "our" posts to be disolved in others technical threards.

Is it possible dear Cycling ?

kjg
August 1, 2008 | 11:48 pm

Quote: Olivier Sebillotte wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 15:27
—————————————————-
> Maybe a dedicate forum section could be a good idea.
>

Why don’t you two start an agency?

August 1, 2008 | 11:58 pm

Quote: kjg wrote on Sat, 02 August 2008 01:48
—————————————————-
> Why don’t you two start an agency?
—————————————————-

I would not ask an agency.
But I decided to buy from Olivier after he posted this here.
Good idea, IMHO.

August 2, 2008 | 12:34 am

Peter Ostry wrote:
> I would not ask an agency.
> But I decided to buy from Olivier after he posted this here.
> Good idea, IMHO.
>

I have to admit that I would also love to have a MaxMSP job …
Maybe we could create an agency or an Association of MaxMSP Jobs Seekers =)

Ciao

August 2, 2008 | 3:37 am

Quote: gusanomaxlist wrote on Sat, 02 August 2008 02:34
—————————————————-
> I have to admit that I would also love to have a MaxMSP job …
> Maybe we could create an agency or an Association of MaxMSP Jobs Seekers =)
—————————————————-

As I joined the forum I knew that I want to learn Max, at least the things I need. It was clear to me that my project is beyond the knowledge I will gain during a year on my own but I want it to be done in a few months. I can do a lot already but there are big holes I cannot fill. I looked around if someone actively offers help on the job. I found the important websites and was not definitely told that a Max developer would like to work on a project. There was an overall "educational vibe". And I didn’t even know what the species "Max Developer" is. Freaks? Scientists? Crazy componists who glue dancers to infrared rays?

It would definitely not be a bad idea to make this clear. I am here because I wanted to write my project in 4D. Sounds strange? inter alia I am a 4D developer and I needed just a MIDI external which doesn’t exist, at least not on the free market. And I was not sure if the I/O speed of 4D can fulfill the requirements. I found a developer, offered 400 Euro to make the plugin, got nothing and could not verify if the software is able to do fast MIDI processing. Then I decided to switch to Max because I knew that Max can do it. But I cannot do it from scratch in Max. I did not find specific offers, so I work on my own and hope to get some help here. The 400 Euro are gone, I was fed up and bought a nice bass preamp and some other things instead.

Don’t you think this Peter was a potential customer without letting you know? The chance is gone but you never know who is here and who will come along.

It is a good idea for developers to work together and tell other people that they would love to work on their projects.

Well, this is actually all I wanted to say, don’t know why I needed so many words in advance …

Sorry Olivier to hijack your thread, I will make you a new one :-)

August 2, 2008 | 5:53 am

"Sorry Olivier to hijack your thread, I will make you a new one :-)"

Haha, that was funny… "If you want to destroy my sweater, hold the [thread] as I walk away…"

I’m also on the hunt for such jobs trying to keep my head above water in this sea of corporate depression that seems keen on towing me under.

I’d love to register or be a part of any such agency.

In any case, best of luck to everyone!

August 4, 2008 | 10:27 pm

On that note, hearing about academic positions where they want someone to teach Max or other elements of "new media" or installations or interactivity etc. would be great. Steady paycheck, interested students, and total freedom to experiment… ah, academia. :)

August 5, 2008 | 12:01 am

Yes, it’s kind of funny how there are many teaching jobs for Max but not nearly as many jobs other than teaching for the students who learn it…
maybe someday this, too, will change… *sigh*

August 5, 2008 | 1:17 am

Maybe we should all just be teachers and students of everyone else, all the time, since everyone’s good enough at something or lots of things—people they know could learn a lot from them, and vice versa. Plus, if those things have to do with creative endeavors or experimentation, there’ll never be an end to what people can think of to work on/play with.

The new monetary system would be founded upon knowledge, experience, creativity, and teaching ability.

Sort of like being in recess forever, but with much cooler toys.

August 5, 2008 | 4:19 am

Max is rarely a specific skill required for a job. It is however, a
tool that can complete many jobs.

You will have better results looking for final products you want to
work on, and could use Max as a tool to do so, than you will poking
around for people looking for Max/MSP programmers. Not that that
doesn’t exist too, but you might have to wait awhile.

bt

On Aug 1, 2008, at 3:08 AM, Olivier Sebillotte wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> I dare to post this here, I hope this is not against rules.
>
>> From time to time I see some jobs offers, why not post the
>> complement ?
>
> So if anyone is looking for someone or if you know a place where
> such offers are broadcated, please contact me.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
>
>
> –
> Olivier Sebillotte

barry threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA
Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew (at) gmail (dot) com
Web: http://www.barrythrew.com

August 5, 2008 | 4:31 am

Definitely true what Barry says, I contract-worked on sound-editing for video-games for awhile, it was great to see the quick tool they put into place used Jitter and Max/MSP to help people edit voice while maintaining sync with model-animations.

Though I must say, if anyone is curious, you might want to avoid contract voice-editing: very unsatisfying and tedious and at the end of it all, you get paid just enough to get by(come tax-time, you are screwed if you don’t keep contracting like a madman).

But I would’ve LOVED to have been the one that made the tool.

August 5, 2008 | 6:10 am

Thank you Barry and all others for your inputs.

This is very useful to have such experince feedbacks.

Olivier

Quote: barry threw wrote on Tue, 05 August 2008 06:19
—————————————————-
> Max is rarely a specific skill required for a job. It is however, a
> tool that can complete many jobs.
>
> You will have better results looking for final products you want to
> work on, and could use Max as a tool to do so, than you will poking
> around for people looking for Max/MSP programmers. Not that that
> doesn’t exist too, but you might have to wait awhile.
>
> bt
>
>
—————————————————-

August 5, 2008 | 11:43 am

way not make some video-training like

lynda, gnomon, FXPHD, cmiFVX….

August 5, 2008 | 4:03 pm

Quote: seejayjames wrote on Tue, 05 August 2008 03:17
—————————————————-
> The new monetary system would be founded upon knowledge, experience, creativity, and teaching ability.
—————————————————-

I am less romantic in this case. If it is a business-oriented system it would rather support those who are able to communicate clearly and get a good job done in time and for the appointed money. For software development the deal is usually based on a flat-rate per module or overall. One may earn half a dollar per hour or 200.

But I think the problem is not a business system but rather that forum members are not used to pay for intellectual services of others. Gratuitous and always available help is one purpose of an online community but it would not be wrong to pay small amounts to sponsor those who make so great efforts to help others. I think an anonymous donation system could help to realize that what we get is really a service and not just kids-talk about the latest Max news.

I buy always some small software or hardware I do not really need and might finally not even use. To be honest, I guess I spend about $500 per year for useless things. I would be willing to send a person who is responsible for a "breakthrough" in a project a couple of bucks just to say thank you in a more earthly manner. Kind of micro-payment and strictly anonymous of course, it should not be a personal thing.

Worth to think about, not?

dtr
August 5, 2008 | 4:06 pm

Quote: seejayjames wrote on Mon, 04 August 2008 16:27
—————————————————-
> On that note, hearing about academic positions where they want someone to teach Max or other elements of "new media" or installations or interactivity etc. would be great. Steady paycheck, interested students, and total freedom to experiment… ah, academia. :)
—————————————————-

well here you go then… call me crazy but i’m giving up my academic position with the steady paycheck, interested students, and total freedom to experiment to focus on my independent artistic and music work. that leaves a job opening needing to be filled at the faculty of architecture of the Delft University of Technology (Netherlands).

skills required: max/msp (for handling my legacy of max 4 patches), sensor and actuation electronics (incl interface boards like arduino, phidgets, etc), all-round multimedia skills, (at least) PC & Mac handy, programming skills are a plus.

pm me if interested…

that being said, i’m available for contract work :D

dtr
August 5, 2008 | 4:06 pm

– sorry double post –

August 5, 2008 | 9:32 pm

I think thats a great idea,
I personally only know so much and working on my own projects, i always come to a point where i dont know how to continue! there are very few experienced patchers from what I know living nearby, and the chance to call upon professional advice like yourselves would be a godsend.

best of luck!
JGo

August 5, 2008 | 9:45 pm

A wiki would do. I could even host it…

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:34 PM, gusano wrote:
> Peter Ostry wrote:
>>
>> I would not ask an agency.
>> But I decided to buy from Olivier after he posted this here.
>> Good idea, IMHO.
>>
>
> I have to admit that I would also love to have a MaxMSP job …
> Maybe we could create an agency or an Association of MaxMSP Jobs Seekers =)
>
> Ciao
>
>
>

Morgan Sutherland

August 6, 2008 | 4:05 am

Vade and I were talking about starting the Multimedia AssSavers Union
21.5 back in some thread where we were bitching about people not
getting paid.

I think the idea has merit.

bt

On Aug 5, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Morgan Sutherland wrote:

> Association of MaxMSP Jobs Seekers

barry threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA
Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew (at) gmail (dot) com
Web: http://www.barrythrew.com

August 6, 2008 | 8:32 am

Does anyone know how big the worldwide Max/MSP user base is? Not that I think everybody will pay a Dollar to everybody ;-) I am just curious. So many years and much traffic here in the forum…

Are there official numbers or good guesses?
10,000 or more users?

October 23, 2010 | 6:26 pm

I am one of those that wanted (and still want) a career in programing in Max. But there is so many people… I think the ones that really matter are the ones that can create externals for Max, in C or C++.

And I must agree with Barry Threw…

"Max is rarely a specific skill required for a job. It is however, a
tool that can complete many jobs."

It as been a great tool for specifit things that I need, considering composition, education (I teach), and computer tasks… One of the best tools around!

*EDIT*

After so many years programing with max, I’ve come to the conclusion that is less expensive to pay for someone to make me a patch then for me to do it myself. I do believe that time as more value then money, and one can spend a lot of time programing a simple thing… But I do love to program in Max, so I’ve never payed anyone to make me a patch. Besides, if you want it right, do it your self.

Cheers!

April 23, 2013 | 10:06 pm

Hello,
I thought this was a great and very informative thread. Since it’s on the subject of jobs and so many of you have so much experience, does anyone have any advice for someone obtaining an M.F.A in interactive media programming? I’m looking to make my schooling worth as much as possible by broadening my knowledge of relevant software. Basically, the program I’m in is heavily focused on Max/MSP which is my strong suite, and I’d like to end up working with interactive installation artists and musicians. Are there any other languages that I could incorporate to have an edge in the job market? I’ve also used a lot of Processing as well. Thanks for the help!

M. Romeo
http://www.michaelpromeo.tumblr.com

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)