Forums > Jitter

I Need a Good Sensor

May 1, 2010 | 11:05 am

I’m building an installation in which artificially constructed walls, when touched, will process a live audio feed. I’ve been trying to use simple piezo elements attached to the walls with the "meter~" and "past" objects (setting up a threshold so to speak) but the piezo elements lack the ability to differentiate loud hand claps from actual wall vibrations. I’ve been thinking about using fsr sensors but they seem too precise and pressure based to pick up something so broad. Is there a good sensor available that will detect material vibration and not SPL? Or am I going about this completely wrong?

Here’s the patch (still in progress) if you care to take a look. It’s a little large and involves a camera feed as well. The numerous mic inputs from the adc will eventually be the wall sensors, right now mic1 is the live audio feed and mic2 is the sensor.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

May 2, 2010 | 8:58 am

Well looks like I’ll figure it out myself. No better way.

May 3, 2010 | 7:58 pm

I tried something similar and had problems with piezos too.

in sensing the beating on the wall, I guess you actually want to use low frequency signals,
& piezo’s are no good for this.

since you are constructing the walls yourself, maybe you can just use a regular mic, put it inside the wall and do some lowpass filtering.

in my piece I used hall sensors and magnets… which are also good for this kind of stuff.

i also tried accelerometers, which are just about as sensitive as a piezo.. (i even tried it as a ‘mic’ and it sounds kinda similar to a piezo).. but they’re good at low frequency stuff too…

hope this helps,

daan

May 4, 2010 | 9:19 am

Maybe look into diy capacitance switches ;~;
Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)