Forums > MaxMSP

Idea For New Max 5 Feature – Multi Cording

November 10, 2008 | 2:48 pm

Hello all,

I was mangling with a patch of mine, clicking, dragging and so on.
Whilst i was in the middle of patching and creating some odd sounding noises, my cabling selection seemed to just be a little strenuous.

So i had an idea for a new feature. This is just a idea, but feel it could be really useful, when you just ‘need to get it done’.

My idea is on ‘Multi Cording’.
Basically, instead of ‘clicking and dragging’ each and every patch cord from different objects to one source.
How about a key command, say, hold ‘alt and command’ then clicking on the outputs to each of your objects, all the while after each click, a new patch cord shows up. You can then select 5-10-20 or 30 different object outputs, and select them all to go to one input all at the same time.

So this could make selecting multiple outputs, that are all able to go to one separate input all at the same time. Instead of doing them all, one by one.

I don’t know whether this has been talked about before, but thought it was a good idea, whilst i was patching

Tell me what you think of this idea. I don’t care if it is not taken on. But felt i had to share the thought i had…

November 10, 2008 | 2:57 pm

Like max toolbox? Have a look on maxobjects.com, it uses javascript to align objects and make multiple patching possible.

lh

November 10, 2008 | 3:05 pm

oooh, very nice. I will have a look at that

All in all, it would be nice to have a built in version, but let me see

Cheers again…

November 10, 2008 | 3:06 pm

Is it for XP or OS X. Or does not matter?

November 10, 2008 | 3:33 pm

I assume it works on both, it is only running javascript commands and I don’t see why they should differ between operating systems. I use it on mac 10.4.11 on max 5.0.4. It saves a bit of time once you get used to the key commands, especially when dealing with loads of objects.

lh

November 10, 2008 | 5:30 pm

On Nov 10, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Lewis G. Edwards wrote:

> How about a key command, say, hold ‘alt and command’ then clicking
> on the outputs to each of your objects, all the while after each
> click, a new patch cord shows up. You can then select 5-10-20 or 30
> different object outputs, and select them all to go to one input all
> at the same time.

How about holding the Shift Key down while patching? It allows you to
place new patch cords from one source to multiple destinations. It has
been in Max for a long time.

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

November 10, 2008 | 10:17 pm

Quote: Chris Muir wrote on Mon, 10 November 2008 11:30
—————————————————-
>
> On Nov 10, 2008, at 6:48 AM, Lewis G. Edwards wrote:
>
> > How about a key command, say, hold ‘alt and command’ then clicking
> > on the outputs to each of your objects, all the while after each
> > click, a new patch cord shows up. You can then select 5-10-20 or 30
> > different object outputs, and select them all to go to one input all
> > at the same time.
>
>
> How about holding the Shift Key down while patching? It allows you to
> place new patch cords from one source to multiple destinations. It has
> been in Max for a long time.
>
> -C
>
> Chris Muir
> cbm@well.com
> http://www.xfade.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
—————————————————-

That’s the opposite of what he’s wanting. I’ve seen other people ask for this same thing. The problem is it would be a complete rethinking of how the inlet/outlet connection paradigm works. Max would have to allow the user to create patch cords *from* clicking an inlet and then connect it *to* an outlet.

November 10, 2008 | 10:28 pm

max.toolbox is genius, a must have!

Not just connections, but distribute evenly in X, Y, and XY, and the ability to send messages to multiple objects. So you can change the color of 16 number boxes (say) by selecting them all and typing in a bgcolor command. Paste-replace also can do that, just a bit differently…or you could have a "receive messages" attached to each one and send global commands…or you can just make it how you want it first and duplicate it then… the point is that it adds another way to do certain things, and is very efficient at it. For connections it can save tons of strain on your hands too.

November 10, 2008 | 11:54 pm

On Nov 10, 2008, at 2:17 PM, David Huff wrote:
> That’s the opposite of what he’s wanting. I’ve seen other people ask
> for this same thing. The problem is it would be a complete
> rethinking of how the inlet/outlet connection paradigm works. Max
> would have to allow the user to create patch cords *from* clicking
> an inlet and then connect it *to* an outlet.

Thanks for making me read more closely. After reading again, what you
describe is not quite what he’s asking for either.

He wants to connect multiple outputs to one input with ease. And for
this, I second the recommendation of the MaxToolbox.

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

November 11, 2008 | 5:50 am

I had a go of the toolbox.
The max toolbox is really nice.

I do also get that, not a whole re-write, but a lot of work would be needed for this feature to be included in a future update.

But Max 4 went all the way to 4.6.3, so maybe, this feature may appear later in life :)

But the Max Toolbox is really nice…

November 11, 2008 | 6:02 am

> How about holding the Shift Key down while patching? It allows you to
> place new patch cords from one source to multiple destinations. It has
> been in Max for a long time.
>
> -C

Great Tip!

Also, another vote for the toolbox as well. Wonderful addition to Max

November 11, 2008 | 9:10 pm

the toolbox is pretty wicked, but i stopped using it as frequently since it seemed highly volatile on Max 5 and would often crash Max. On Max 4, however, it runs veerry smoothly and makes patching a true pleasure.

I think C74 should integrate Toolbox functionality into the actual Max product.

November 11, 2008 | 11:58 pm

Quote: ComfortableInClouds wrote on Tue, 11 November 2008 14:10
—————————————————-
> the toolbox is pretty wicked, but i stopped using it as frequently since it seemed highly volatile on Max 5 and would often crash Max. On Max 4, however, it runs veerry smoothly and makes patching a true pleasure.
>
> I think C74 should integrate Toolbox functionality into the actual Max product.
—————————————————-

I noticed this as well with max 5. While I’ve never had crashes, it doesn’t work as smoothly and as complete as in 4.6. would be great to have this built in

November 12, 2008 | 1:45 am

I am also a big maxtoolbox fan, and I second (third, actually) the idea to integrate it into the next release!

f.e
November 12, 2008 | 10:15 am

December 9, 2008 | 11:22 am

Hello everyone who replied to this post some time ago.

Just as a little thing, i have FINALLY tried and tested Max Toolbox properly. Which after many weeks of hardcore composing and work had the time to really work/test it.

This little bit of kit is fantastic. Exceptionally great, and FREE. As i was browsing youtube for some info, came across this nice video of Max Toolbox and basically all the shortcuts for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcqF9hDNoJk
Plus some other things not in the readme

I really do think the Cycling crew should implement this way of patching in there next update release. It is a powerful tool that can make maxing all the more quicker, which is great, plus even more fun than it is already. Being able to connect multiple objects to objects all at once is a great thing to do, plus am able to now think ahead quicker

Fantastic, please make it happen Cycling 74…

December 9, 2008 | 2:08 pm

Just like to add my support for integrating the max toolbox. It’s so useful. I especially like the c shortcut, makes patching lightning fast.

To keep my patching tidy too I use this abstraction a lot. ;)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

December 10, 2008 | 11:41 am

December 10, 2008 | 9:39 pm

But unless beginners spend at least a few months patching by hand, they won’t appreciate how nice the toolbox is!

Maybe just have the toolbox auto-install without notice after 90 days. ;)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)