I'm new

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:52pm

I'm new

Hello. I’m new to max/msp/jitter but I’ve heard and seen performances done everywhere, and really would like to begin using this platform, for my artistic purposes. however I have no experience in programming at all. i’m just wondering how much do I need programming experience. And also how much time does it take to actually get basics down and start getting around.. because it looks rather very complicated. I’m learning about midi, setups, signal flows.. at my school. Can anybody help me in explaining about max, those who are experiecede or has just begun? and what can you recommend me to do at this stage?

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:24pm

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:45pm

>
>Though Max/MSP doesn’t encourage it much: First Design, Then Code. It’s much easier to implement
something, if you’ve really thought about what it needs to do, and have a design in mind.
>

I second this. In the beginning it was invaluable for me to try mapping out a patch on paper (or a
whiteboard) using plain english in place of object names I didn’t know ( [store list here] for example).
Even now I find it more productive to map out what I want the patch to do on paper before launching
Max.

Good luck.
David

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It’s easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at http://www.doteasy.com

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:56am

John D Lee schrieb:
> Hello. I’m new to max/msp/jitter but I’ve heard and seen performances
> done everywhere, and really would like to begin using this platform,
> for my artistic purposes.

Welcome on board…

> however I have no experience in programming at all. i’m just
> wondering how much do I need programming experience. And also how
> much time does it take to actually get basics down and start getting
> around.. because it looks rather very complicated.

This depends a lot on your background, a friend of mine could come up
within weeks with a very usable patch for his music creation, but he had
collected some experience in other fields within his life before…

> I’m learning about midi, setups, signal flows.. at my school. Can
> anybody help me in explaining about max, those who are experiecede or
> has just begun? and what can you recommend me to do at this stage?

If you read the manual, and just walk through all the tutorials, and do
experiments within the tutorials and help files to get answers for
unclear parts (yes you should change them and test out things…), you
should pretty fast get an idea what this is all about…
Best is to set yourself a goal by defining a concrete project…

Don’t worry about lack in programming skills, they are not required, but
helpful. Take your time for learning whatever you will need to fulfill
your artistic desires (and keep those within your focus, not specific
skills) You will learn all necessary skills because you need them, not
because you think you have to learn them…

Take the challenge, jump in, you’re welcome….

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:50pm

thank you for the replies. it is very helpful to me.
i’ve also heard about pd, and they say it has the same concept with max. anybody used pd before?

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:36pm

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:21pm

re: programming skills.

i actially found using max improved my programing skills. having to think about where data is going and when, and laying structures out in a logical modular way.
i went from using max, to building vst’s and now onto programing in objects in c. its definately a very accesible ‘language’. you’ve just gotta be patient and stick it out and learnall the “this is a bang”, “this is a float” stuff first. max really is a set of relatively simple tools, it only gets a complicated as you want to make it!

all the best
Will

May 5, 2007 at 4:47pm

May 5, 2007 at 6:54pm

One bit of advice from someone who’s new as well. I’m finding it useful to break Max/Msp down into its ‘two halves’– Designing a controller or two for an existing synth (like Reason) will give you immidiate, satisfying feedback, as you won’t be worried that it doesn’t sound good. Working with a standard controller on the ‘MSP side’ will let you fiddle with the sound to your hearts content, and is very easy to rig up.

Have I done anything groundbreaking or amazingly new? No, but there is an immidate, visceral satisfaction to be gained when your patch ‘does something’ right away, which will (hopefully) encourage you to forge ahead.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.