imploding patch

Oct 23, 2006 at 7:57pm

imploding patch

I am curious to know what could cause a patch to implode and become completely useless…

I worked on a patch for most of saturday and sunday… I opened and closed it a few times yesterday as a I worked on it… at a certain point yesterday evening I opened it and the entire patch was unrecognizable… most if not all the GUI elements were gone and entire sections of the patch were missing… I wasn’t doing anything very fancy… all GUI objects were basic max/msp objects… I wasn’t using any externals… almost everything was done with subpatchers…the only thing living outside the patch was the background image for a matrix object (which was also gone)…

I am on OS X.3.9 and maxmsp 4.5.7… all my files live on an external drive… could the last save have somehow been incomplete causing the patch to become corrupt?

baffled and frustrated

sg

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:45pm

I’ve had this happen a few times. I think it’s in relation to using the write”message with thispatcher….

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:10am

can you open your patch as a text file, how does it look ?
copy the bits that dont seem to appear corrupted (if they do).
or try to open your patch on another machine ( if you can ) to see what happens, resave it.
refresh your ram , maybe something stuck in there…

sometimes the header gets corrupted and patches wont open anymore, make max crash etc…
good luck

Quote: simoneghetti@yahoo.co wrote on Mon, 23 October 2006 12:57
—————————————————-
> I am curious to know what could cause a patch to implode and become completely useless…
>
> I worked on a patch for most of saturday and sunday… I opened and closed it a few times yesterday as a I worked on it… at a certain point yesterday evening I opened it and the entire patch was unrecognizable… most if not all the GUI elements were gone and entire sections of the patch were missing… I wasn’t doing anything very fancy… all GUI objects were basic max/msp objects… I wasn’t using any externals… almost everything was done with subpatchers…the only thing living outside the patch was the background image for a matrix object (which was also gone)…
>
> I am on OS X.3.9 and maxmsp 4.5.7… all my files live on an external drive… could the last save have somehow been incomplete causing the patch to become corrupt?
>
> baffled and frustrated
>
> sg
>
—————————————————-

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.