Forums > Jitter

Import Full Movie into Matrixset using importmovie and file name…

March 20, 2012 | 11:27 am

Hi,

I’m trying to import a 2second long video clip into a matrixset using the importmovie message with the filename specified and a bang message to trigger the action. I can get the first frame of the movie loaded with this method but I need all the frames (of which there are 50). I can get all 50 in no problem when I just use the importmovie message on it’s own and manually navigate to the file directory but that defeats the purpose of what I’m trying to do. I will have two other longer movie clips running at the same time using jit.qt.movie and I want three matrixsets with the 2second clips already loaded up so I can cut them in – hopefully saving cpu by doing this. Can anybody help??

Thanks,

Kanisi

March 20, 2012 | 4:15 pm

Hi Kanisi,

Personally, I would avoid using the ‘importmovie’ message to jit.matrixset, and just ‘framedump’ frames from jit.qt.movie, something like this:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 20, 2012 | 9:45 pm

Hi Ben, thanks for that. That looks perfect for what I’m trying to do. I didn’t know it was so easy to get a jit.qt.movie to play through once and then stop! Really appreciate this.

If I could ask one more question: when using the read message with the file name, is there any way to read from a folder within the folder where the patch is saved?
For example, if my patch is saved in a folder called ‘Main’ and I have clips within Main that are in a folder called ‘Clips’, could I use something like /Clips/movie1.mov with the read message? I can’t get it to work. Is this possible?

Thanks again,

Kanisi

March 20, 2012 | 10:07 pm

You could either add the top level folder to your file search preferences (Options->File Preferences), making sure that the ‘Subfolders’ box is checked, create a Project and add all those files to the Project (http://cycling74.com/docs/max6/dynamic/c74_docs.html#projects), or you could figure out where your patch is and then construct ‘read’ message based on the full path:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Lots of other ways to do it too depending on how you want to interact with the read mechanism.

March 20, 2012 | 10:21 pm

Once again that’s perfect. Thanks very much Ben, you’ve saved me a lot of headache.

Kanisi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)