Importing 3rd party externals

May 4, 2008 at 10:19am

Importing 3rd party externals

I can’t seem to find anything in the documentation on this – but I noticed that with Max 5, the externals folder has been split now into 3 types – msp,max and jitter. Does this require the user to manually divide collective externals into their different max or msp types?

This would be handy to note in future documentation (or did I miss it somewhere?)

Cheers!

Pat

May 4, 2008 at 10:46am

Sun, 04 May 2008 04:19___Pat
>Does this require the user to manually divide collective externals into their different max or msp types?

I would say no, I recently updated my Litter Pro lib
(Peter Castine)
and the installation doc say’s to put it in Max
knowing that there is both max and msp object in it
and everything works fine
I guess it is just for a arrangement convenience

best

Eryck

May 5, 2008 at 5:21pm

I was confronted with this issue while working on updating Litter Power for Max 5.

Since {max|msp|jitter}-externals are all in the search path, it shouldn’t make any difference in which of these your 3POs are. Using max-externals was simply the first thing I tried, and it worked.

It appears that simply the entire Cycling ’74/ folder is in your search path (whether you like it or not!-) so the better solution might be to create a dedicated “Third Party Objects” folder in there. I don’t know if there is an “officially recommended” approach.

Traditionally, many people have used the patches/ folder for all their third-party stuff. That works, too. So the short answer seems to be “don’t matter much”.

There is, of course, the question of the order in which subdirectories are searched. But anyone relying on search order is in a state of sin.

– P. (with apols to John von Neuman)

May 5, 2008 at 6:30pm

>It appears that simply the entire Cycling ’74/ folder is in your
>search path (whether you like it or not!-) so the better solution
>might be to create a dedicated “Third Party Objects” folder in
>there. I don’t know if there is an “officially recommended” approach.

This is exactly what I have done, and it’s been working fine.

Dan

Dan Nigrin
Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major
Malfunction
http://www.defectiverecords.com

http://www.jackosx.com

May 5, 2008 at 7:13pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! Makes perfect sense.

Pat

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.