Forums > MaxMSP

Impulses HEAVY problems!

March 16, 2009 | 5:53 pm

hi!
i’m gettin mad with impulses convolution!

i need do do basically 2 thing: the first one is to make a cabinet simulation for my virtual guitar processor and the second one is to get a goog reverb by using famouses impulses respnse (like lexicon i.e.)..

i studied the tutorial 26 with no results al all..

i already read all the discussion about this (till 2000 -_-") but nothing..

so, some of you can help me with REALTIME convolution as i’ve just explained?

really tks to all
mmb

March 16, 2009 | 7:34 pm

No such things are built in Max. If what you want is a good cabinet simulation and a good reverb, you may be better off looking for third party plugins, specialized in each field.
J-F.

March 17, 2009 | 10:26 am
Jean-Francois Charles wrote on Mon, 16 March 2009 13:34
No such things are built in Max. If what you want is a good cabinet simulation and a good reverb, you may be better off looking for third party plugins, specialized in each field.
J-F.

mmmmm.. sure?
so tut26 is a fake?

i read something on this forum about convolution.. i mind that is possible for max to do this..

March 17, 2009 | 4:43 pm

Tutorial 26 is a very important one. Necessary if you want to work in spectral domain and use [pfft~]. The tutorial shows a simple convolution between 2 signals (convolution = multiplication in spectral domain). But it doesn’t tell you anything about reverbs, and convolution reverbs. Building such a reverb is not straightforward. You will find in the archives a discussion precisely on convolution reverbs:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=61070

Jean-François.

March 17, 2009 | 5:34 pm
Jean-Francois Charles wrote on Tue, 17 March 2009 10:43
Tutorial 26 is a very important one. Necessary if you want to work in spectral domain and use [pfft~]. The tutorial shows a simple convolution between 2 signals (convolution = multiplication in spectral domain). But it doesn’t tell you anything about reverbs, and convolution reverbs. Building such a reverb is not straightforward. You will find in the archives a discussion precisely on convolution reverbs:

Jean-François.

mmmm.. so you mind that is better to use a vst for convolution reverb?

and what’s about using impulses for simulate cabinet?

tks a lot!
mmb

March 18, 2009 | 7:21 am

Hi,

You can use buffir~ (time domain convolution) for processing impulse of the cabinet.
For the reverb in MAX, try the external called tconvolution~.

Salvator

March 18, 2009 | 1:25 pm
Salvator wrote on Wed, 18 March 2009 01:21
Hi,

You can use buffir~ (time domain convolution) for processing impulse of the cabinet.

Salvator

mmmm.. interesting!
i’m checkin’out! XD

tks a lot!
mmb

March 18, 2009 | 3:04 pm
bertacchimmb wrote on Wed, 18 March 2009 07:25
Salvator wrote on Wed, 18 March 2009 01:21
Hi,

Salvator

mmmm.. interesting!
i’m checkin’out! XD

tks a lot!
mmb

mmmm.. really interesting.. i compare my result with the most important ir vst convolver and it sounds really good..

but….. how to extend the buffir~ over 256 sample? all my ir sample are about 1024 sample long!

how to d0?

tks a lot
mmb

March 19, 2009 | 12:47 am
Jean-Francois Charles wrote on Tue, 17 March 2009 10:43

Jean-François.

Hi,

Isnt all convolution reverbs the same?
Convolving a guitar with an ir from a guitar amp/speaker would get identical results in any convoution plugin, when not additional filtering etc is applied.
That is one reason some people prefer algorithmic reverbs ? , they create random movements that is impossible in IR reverbs.

cheers

March 19, 2009 | 12:56 pm

What I meant is that the live convolution of 2 signals is a straightforward thing with pfft~, whereas building a convolution reverb is more complicated. If you have a simple patch doing convolution reverb with pfft~, please share!
The subject was discussed on this thread as well:
http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?rid=0&S=3158b3a0b0dc96337a5fb434d0d993a8&t=msg&th=23568

J-F.

March 19, 2009 | 2:42 pm

hi! =)

about buffir~: i noticed that the max slice is 256 frames.. so i used lots of buffir~ with delay~..

i attach you a screenshot of my idea.. is quite simply i mind.. i tested it with a click~ and i noticed that the response is 768 sample.. i can’t undestand why the last buffir~ is not read at all..

am i right on this patching based an buffir~+dealy~?

really tks
mmb

March 19, 2009 | 3:38 pm

hey,

maybe I dont understand this, but is convolving a sound with a reverb tail any different than convolving with any arbitrary sound?

March 20, 2009 | 3:21 pm

ok!

cabinet simulator is DONE!

what’s about reverb ir?
i mind that using buffir~ is quite impossible.. i need something like 400 buffir~+delay~ to get someting usable.. -_-"

other ways to get something similar and usefull?

really tks
mmb

March 23, 2009 | 1:03 pm

from my first post :

"For the reverb in MAX, try the external called tconvolution~."

And yes, delay~+ buffir is the way for initial cab simulation.
Also, depending on your impulse, you may need to performa some windowing to avoid artifact.

All the best,

Salvator

March 23, 2009 | 4:56 pm
Salvator wrote on Mon, 23 March 2009 07:03
from my first post :

"For the reverb in MAX, try the external called tconvolution~."

And yes, delay~+ buffir is the way for initial cab simulation.
Also, depending on your impulse, you may need to performa some windowing to avoid artifact.

All the best,

Salvator

mmmm.. i use windows.. your external is only for osx.. this is the reason why i ignored your forst suggestion..

=)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)