increment at signal rate

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:57pm

increment at signal rate

Hi I need an increment or accumulate functionality at the signal rate in MSP. I’m implementing a variable length delay using a buffer and need to increment my read pointer by non-integer increments. This is a school project, and I need to manage the read pointer myself.
I just can’t find anything to do this.
thanks
tim.m

#29146
Dec 10, 2006 at 10:18pm

#90325
Dec 10, 2006 at 10:32pm

Thanks, but I don’t see how I can do what I need with that. I need the output of the +~ to be fed back into it (or for it to preserve its state somehow). I’ve tried this by routing its output straight to its input but it doesn’t work. I also tried using a send~ to send its output back to its input, but for some reason it increments very slowly, even when i set the increment value to be a signal of value 1.
What am I missing?

#90326
Dec 10, 2006 at 10:33pm

> [+~]
or… [+=~ ] ?

what a cool looking post….

#90327
Dec 10, 2006 at 10:47pm

Hurray! that works.
that one doesn’t appear in my object list for some reason, so I didn’t see it.
thx

#90328
Dec 11, 2006 at 8:24am

#90329
Dec 12, 2006 at 2:17am

Quote: montagne wrote on Sun, 10 December 2006 15:32
—————————————————-
> Thanks, but I don’t see how I can do what I need with that. I need the output of the +~ to be fed back into it (or for it to preserve its state somehow). I’ve tried this by routing its output straight to its input but it doesn’t work. I also tried using a send~ to send its output back to its input, but for some reason it increments very slowly, even when i set the increment value to be a signal of value 1.
> What am I missing?
—————————————————-

didnt you say you have to find it out yourself?

#90330
Dec 12, 2006 at 2:21am

err…well, what I meant was that I need to implement the pointer control rather than just using a patch that implements a continuously variable delay line for me.
tim.m

#90331
Dec 12, 2006 at 3:08am

[count] could be a helpful object for you then.

#90332
Dec 12, 2006 at 4:29am

#90333
Dec 12, 2006 at 4:48am

actually I have been through most of the MAX/MSP Tutorials and Topics document and done about 15 of the tutorials from start to finish as well as some class assignments.
In the end, I have used a buffer and index~ objects to read from it. I’m using the +=~ object to increement the read pointers at each sample.
It seems to work pretty well. I’m using 2 read pointers, spaced one sameple apart and using linear interpolation between the two. It doesn’t sound so great for waveforms like a pure sinusoid, but sounds ok for other waveforms. I suppose that a quadratic or cubic interpolation would do a better job.

Thanks for all yoru help.

#90334
Dec 12, 2006 at 5:24am

#90335
Dec 13, 2006 at 2:16am

so does anybody know a good objectfor quadratic or cubic signal interpolation?
I’m still looking…
thx
tim.m

#90336
Dec 13, 2006 at 4:53am

I’ve started a new thread for this…

#90337
Dec 14, 2006 at 7:43am

Quote: jeanfrancois.charles wrote on Mon, 11 December 2006 22:24
—————————————————-
> Great to know that it works.
> Using objects like [+=~] and [count~] is not obvious, it gets often tricky.

what makes me going mad cow sometimes is the lack of
comparison operators for floats. ([>= 0.5])

theuse of count is usually a matter of trial and error
for me – and some other people i know.

>=110

#90338

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.