Forums > MaxMSP

Individual velocity for each note

October 30, 2012 | 1:51 pm

Hi, I’ve just bought a Doepfer PK88 midi keyboard, it’s awesome, but the black keys when pressed have much more velocity than the white keys.
I’d like to make a patch I can control each note of my keyboard, and set a pre-defined velocity of individual keys.
I’m just learning Max, and I don’t know if midi parsing object can do it.
Thanks in advance for any help
K

October 30, 2012 | 8:14 pm

hi there!

what you are trying to do is quite simple. some hints:

first, simply use a notein. it will accept note messages only. one of its outlets gives you a note number = pitch, the other a velocity. use the number to read out the corresponding entry in a coll or table (where you have stored the velocities you want for each note). replace notein’s velocity output with that velocity. voilà! the tricky thing may be the message order, but if you’ve read some of the tutorials, you can figure it out. just make yourself familiar with the function of each object.

have fun! rst

October 31, 2012 | 12:48 pm

Thanks for the hints. I’ll give it a try!
K

October 31, 2012 | 2:09 pm

Try the attached patch
It allows to attenuate the velocity of the black keys
Of course, if you attenuate the black key velocities then you can no longer have a velocity of "127" with a black key, which is not good
Because of this, you should rather use two different velocity curves: one for the black keys and one for the white keys
But the principle (separating the keyboard into white and black keys) is the same so you can adapt it from the attached patch
Sorry for dirty patching

Regards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)