Forums > MaxMSP

Inhibitting Joystick from returning to center (in Max, not physically)

January 29, 2013 | 6:39 pm

Hello! I’m creating a surround sound patch using ICSTs Ambisonics externals and I was just wondering how I would go about inhibitting a joystick from making XY coordinates from going back to 0,0 without letting go of the joystick. I figured this wasn’t so much something with the external, as it is getting a [hi] device working how I want it to.

I would like to be able to have Max recognize the joysticks position while I’m holding down a trigger and then when I release the trigger, it holds the coordinates at that last set of XY points. And then when I move the joystick to a new position and activate the trigger, it’ll move the point to that position and follow the joystick as long as I hold the trigger. The trigger, when sent through a [route] (to separate it from the rest of the [hi] packed info), it sends either 0 (off) or 128 (on). I still want to be able to see the joystick coordinates even when the trigger isn’t pulled.

Thoughts? I’m still working on how logic works in Max. Thanks!

January 29, 2013 | 7:29 pm

sounds like you can feed your x and y through a simple gate for this.

The basic logic parts are explained in the first tutorials. (please go through them if you haven’t – and if you have, do it again specifically to pick up these things, it’ll save you so much time in the end – I’m sorry to be all like RTFM, but it’s so good in this case)

February 18, 2013 | 12:55 am

Oh whoops I totally forgot I made this post >_< I actually just used a [gswitch2] and had it switch outlets via a [select] that bangs when it received the number value of the trigger press. But the gate makes sense too. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)