Initializing Interface Crash

Jun 21, 2006 at 1:37am

Initializing Interface Crash

This crash is annoying. I had been using Max/msp for awhile without a hitch and then one day I open up Max on my Windows XP comp and while “initializing interface” a popup message goes up saying that “Max/Msp has crashed! Would you like to save a diagnostic file?” I searched the mail list and what things I found didn’t seem to have an answer (tried reinstall, waited a long time (30 min) for max to try and load but failed, and I’m not sure of where my prefrences folder is (I checked both the Cycling ’74 folder and the Common files folder and neither of them had a ‘prefrences’ folder.) Any insight on this would be wonderful. Oh and by the way the runtime version does open so this may be some sort of an ‘aliasing’ (don’t know what that means) problem.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:51am

bump

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:59am

don’t know about your crash, but the preferences are located in “documents
and settingsuserapplication datacycling’74″

-thijs

Jun 21, 2006 at 12:39pm

some of us use the email gateway in this forum… ‘bumping’ threads
without a quotation of the original does not bring it back to our
attention, but simply annoys.

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:00am

Quote: Andross wrote on Tue, 20 June 2006 19:37
—————————————————-
> This crash is annoying. I had been using Max/msp for awhile without a hitch and then one day I open up Max on my Windows XP comp and while “initializing interface” a popup message goes up saying that “Max/Msp has crashed! Would you like to save a diagnostic file?” I searched the mail list and what things I found didn’t seem to have an answer (tried reinstall, waited a long time (30 min) for max to try and load but failed, and I’m not sure of where my prefrences folder is (I checked both the Cycling ’74 folder and the Common files folder and neither of them had a ‘prefrences’ folder.) Any insight on this would be wonderful. Oh and by the way the runtime version does open so this may be some sort of an ‘aliasing’ (don’t know what that means) problem.
—————————————————-

Sorry about the bump, won’t happen again. But there is no ‘Application data folder’ as said by ‘thijskoerselman@gmail’ in my documents folder….can I assume you mean the ‘Program FilesCommon FilesCycling ’74′ folder? But even then, I see no mention of prefrences in that folder… just some other folders like ad, externals, init, etc.

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:49am

> Sorry about the bump, won’t happen again. But there is no
> ‘Application data folder’ as said by ‘thijskoerselman@gmail’ in my
> documents folder….can I assume you mean the ‘Program FilesCommon

To clarify, it’s not in your “My Documents” folder, it’s in your *user*
folder. For example:

C:Documents and SettingsRobertApplication DataCycling ’74Max 4
Preferences Files

You will need to make sure that Windows Explorer is set to make this
folder visible:

Tools : Folder Options : View : Files and Folders : Hidden files and
folders
…is set to “show hidden files and folders”

hth,

-j

Jun 22, 2006 at 3:56am

Oh YES YES YES!! Deleting that prefrences folder worked and now I may max again!….but just as an aside, how can I prevent this from happening cause I don’t remember changing any search path or anything though I could be wrong….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.