Forums > Jitter

instant crash… on some but not others

August 12, 2008 | 2:15 am

I have a couple of patches that I am running on Windows XP machines. Some of the machines will open them just fine. But on others (same machines, also XP) the same patches will crash and quit Max instantly, before patch is even open.
Jitter, Max and java installed on each machine. Before I dig deeper, or post patches, I wondered if there was any common reason for this, or a way that I can find a crash report and work out what is going wrong?

Running Max 4.6.3 Jitter 1.6.3.

August 12, 2008 | 7:48 am

Is Quicktime installed on all the machines as well?

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:15 AM, Ed Purver wrote:
>
> I have a couple of patches that I am running on Windows XP machines. Some of the machines will open them just fine. Same patches will crash and quit Max instantly, before patch is even open.
> Jitter, Max and java installed on each machine. Before I dig deeper, or post patches, I wondered if there was any common reason for this, or a way that I can find a crash report and work out what is going wrong?
>
> Running Max 4.6.3 Jitter 1.6.3.
>

PKM
August 12, 2008 | 2:09 pm

you could also try trashing the preferences folder

August 28, 2008 | 2:52 am

Just to belatedly conclude this thread, for archive’s sake. The issue was related to jit.dx.grab. I was sending an open message to a grab object on loading the patcher. This was fine on some machines but not on others. So, I simply delayed the message going through by a few seconds, and then it was fine.

The difference I found in the systems between the problematic machines and the good machines was that there were different Windows XP service packs. No idea if that was related in any way (Direct X updates?), because once I resolved the immediate issue, I moved onto other things.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)