Forums > MaxMSP

instant record~ buffer~ play~ loop buzzing?

January 13, 2008 | 2:57 pm

hi, in a looping patch i’m recording into a buffer~ and looping as soon as i stop recording with play~ via a timer and counter to metro object to sync varied quantization. if i then wait any time before refore recording/looping into the next buffer all is fine, however occasionaly when telling the first loop to stop (and so starting to loop) the next buffer recording is buzzing and distorting in a high pitched tinny fashion, as it’s being recorded, but then loops on playback perfectly, any ideas?

it cant be aliasing can it? the confusion is that it’s only the live output thats distorting, the adc~ is being sent straight out as well as to the individual record~’s. im pretty sure it’s nothing to do with being recorded too loud, i tested it peaking loads but just overdrove as you’d expect, not the tinny distortion previously experienced.

it’s in conjunction with an mbox… it has only done it twice, out of say 30 times, however it just so happened to do it at a performance on friday!

just tested it, changed the vector size etc and no difference was made, i cant seem to get it to do it on purpous, just when it felt like it at the worst time.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, i appologise if it’s blindingly obvious and i should already know, also sorry about the length!

Thanks.

January 17, 2008 | 10:58 am

have i worded this confusingly or does nobody really have any ideas?

January 17, 2008 | 11:47 am

it might be that recording to and playing from a buffer at the same location simultaneously results to what you describe.

The way to go debugging-wise is to isolate the cause of the problem, and if you can’t get why that is, send that as a patch (as compact as possible) to this list.

By using the sync outlet of the record, you might get more precise results about recorded durations.

_
johan

January 17, 2008 | 1:18 pm

thanks jvkr, it doesn’t play from the buffer as it records, it automaticaly triggers play on the same command as to stop recording, and then starts recording instantly to buffer~2.The adc~ is being routed straight to the dac~ (via a volume control) so any live input is always heard.

I am at work, but when I get home I will attach a cleaned up version of the patch if that helps, however, as i said it has only done it a couple of times, and i cant seem to trick it into doing it.

January 17, 2008 | 7:01 pm

if i am understanding you correctly and you are talking about playing back from a buffer at the same time as recording into it(?) then i have experienced the exact same thing.. i havent found a solution yet though, so i guess im just bumping the issue for you

January 18, 2008 | 12:58 am

mine shouldn’t be from recording into the bufer~/playing back simultaneously, if it ever did that it was only for few ms. To test I did just, recorded into the buffer~ whilst playing back and worked fine many times…

January 18, 2008 | 8:39 am

Robbie Lockwood schrieb:
> however occasionaly when telling the first loop to stop (and so
> starting to loop) the next buffer recording is buzzing and distorting
> in a high pitched tinny fashion, as it’s being recorded, but then
> loops on playback perfectly, any ideas?

Are you muting anything? in a poly~ or with mute~?
Then pass~ will help.
No way to tell more without patch…
The way you describe your patch it should work without buzz…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)