Forums > MaxMSP

Interactive loop player with time stretching

February 23, 2007 | 11:10 pm

Hi everyone im new to the forum

Ive just got max and am looking to build something which i can use live to bring in loops and have them automatically time stretched, very much like abelton live.

Has anyone already built something like this and could point me in the right direction as to where i might find out how to build this kind of thing?

Are there any examples with descriptions of whats going on the internet?

Failing all this would anyone be prepaired to build something like this for me….for a fee of course!

thanks guys…cant wait for your respose

February 24, 2007 | 2:13 am

I dont think you’ll have much luck finding an out of the box solution, theres a few standalone programs and stuff, but your best bet is to get it all working for yourself – that way it’ll do everything you want!

If you are looking to use regular loops, you could do things relatively simply – have a look at the waveform object in combination with buffer and groove. (all set up in the waveform~ help file) this will report the sample length, so if you had several you could do some maths to make sure that it matched up. Buffer will also report more handy stuff like sample acurrate length and peak information too.

Hopefully that’ll set you on the right path.

Any questions dont hesitate to ask, we all have to start using max, and it sure aint a flat learning curve!

T

February 24, 2007 | 2:26 am

_j
February 24, 2007 | 3:08 am

yeah there’s no point in paying someone. Well there is I guess. But, you would be at a place to build, with much success, what you want within, oh, I’d say, 3-4 months, even less if you have previous programming experience, even more so with DSP environments [synthedit, reaktor]. If you know both the later, you could probably build you app in 2 months, or less. It’s all theoretical what I’m saying. The fundamental of this post is that Max is meant to be learned by you, and, as a beginner, there are lots of resources that come installed with Max. There are tutorials, help files, online resources, etc. It’s really a cake walk once you start "thinking in Max".

chow!

February 24, 2007 | 4:52 am

I did a big patch like this a few years back for a final school project. At the time I was working on it, some of my professors were asking me "what can this do that Live can’t?"… but to me, that was beside the point. I did it primarily for the learning experience of thinking through a large-scale program like that, and along the way I was able to implement a bunch of little things that were customized for the way I wanted to perform. If you’re interested, you can check out more about my patch, see a video of it in action, and even download the manual that covers a lot of the functionality. It’s all here: http://www.doctorop.com/software.html

all that being said… if you’re seriously considering buying a patch off of someone else, then you might as well just buy Live… it’ll be full featured, less buggy, and well documented as compared to a max patch. as i said above.. the main reason you would want to build your own would be to learn or tailor functionality to your needs.

/dan

Quote: Boskins wrote on Fri, 23 February 2007 16:10
—————————————————-
> Hi everyone im new to the forum
>
> Ive just got max and am looking to build something which i can use live to bring in loops and have them automatically time stretched, very much like abelton live.
>
> Has anyone already built something like this and could point me in the right direction as to where i might find out how to build this kind of thing?
>
> Are there any examples with descriptions of whats going on the internet?
>
> Failing all this would anyone be prepaired to build something like this for me….for a fee of course!
>
> thanks guys…cant wait for your respose
>
—————————————————-

February 24, 2007 | 4:30 pm

thanks for the responses everone…

i thought i might be greeted with a ‘read the fucking manual’ or something equally as usefull.

Are there any patchs published which have anything similar to what i suggested?

thanks again guys…what a great forum!

February 24, 2007 | 5:04 pm

Luckily the question you asked wasnt about one of the basic functions, though there is still plenty of questions which will get that kinda reply from most- i’m still of the mind that being unconstructive doesnt help anyone!

Anyways, the doctorop thing was one of the standalone programs that I mentioned. Obviously it isnt the kinda thing you can just sit down and make after picking up the program for five minutes.

Unfortionatly still not many sites full of useful max patches so you are relatively on your own here other than the forum, For some basics in max there is a guy called snot wong who has a few good patches he’s uploaded.

On a more specific note, you could have a look at the mod squad redux (search for ModSquadRedux.pat in your examples folder) files. They have a kinda max built recyle style program which disects sound files into 16 to play back at different speeds/in different orders + as its a proper example its quite well made and documented.

Other than that, as I said have a look at the waveform~ help file – I imagine that the dr’s program was mainly built using buffers and grooves and the waveform~ helpfile has everything set up rather well.

As the others said, no point getting someone to build it for you, learn max and you can make the program do everything you want, none of the bits of live you dont want kinda thing.

Also unless your in a rush to get started on this, maybe you should just follow a few tutorials for a while, they arent exactly enthralling but once you learn the basics things fall into place.

Hope this helps

Tristram

February 24, 2007 | 8:08 pm

Thanks Trum,

I know everyones right and like everything in life you only get out of it what you put into it.

However, i made a bet with my friend that i could do it and do it i must. unfortunatley, i have a full time job and dont really have the required time at my disposal to learn the program, so in short i need to cheat.

Im willing to pay anybody kind enough to help me out, i just simply dont have the time.

So anybody who finds this stuff easy and would like a bit of extra money dont hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks again

_j
February 25, 2007 | 6:29 am

Lame. Max is for the uber only.

February 26, 2007 | 10:27 am

John Smith wrote:
> Are there any patchs published which have anything similar to what i
> suggested?

Definitely look at Klaus Filips lloopp,

http://lloopp.klingt.org/plone/lloopp/

but I have no idea if thats suitable for someone who just starts with
Max, but it will certainly show whats possible…

> However, i made a bet with my friend that i could do it and do it i
> must. unfortunatley, i have a full time job and dont really have the
> required time at my disposal to learn the program, so in short i need
> to cheat.

Your plan of cheating won’t really work for anyone who knows the scene,
because the style probably will shine through, its like taking a
recording of Pollini and tell everybody you did it — and then they ask
you to demonstrate your skills at a real piano… ;-)

But I am sure you don’t need to cheat, I know some who came up with
impressive patches though they have a full time day job and are
practicing a "real" instrument at the same time…
And I promise you it will be a lot of fun, you might have found a new
hobbyhorse…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

March 5, 2007 | 8:34 pm

Is the only way to stretch / compress time with a combination of speed (to groove) and gizmo~ ? (without 3rd-party objects)? So, speed changes pitch and duration, gizmo~ changes pitch but not duration, and… ??? changes duration and not pitch.

Is this a case for resampling? If so, is there an easy way to get this going? I know one can change sample rates within a poly~, so I was hoping someone who’s been successful at this (or however you did it) could share some words of wisdom. Basically, if there’s a way to do it beyond the speed / gizmo~ combination, I’d like to see it.

Thanks!
-CJ

March 5, 2007 | 10:23 pm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)