interpolating delay

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:23am

interpolating delay

hi there

a friend of mine has been doing live delay line looping (from any input source) with pd, manipulating the time (length) and feedback on a delay and getting interesting looping-stretching-compressing effects from the feedback back into the delay.

My attempts in max have been unsuccessful so far and I am a little lost. He has been using an object called vd~ which is described below.

Is there something similar in max, or a way I can get the same sort of result through a delay line?

[vd~] implements a 4-point interpolating delay tap from a corresponding delwrite~ object. The delay in milliseconds of the tap is specified by the incoming signal.

attached is an image he sent me of the basic part of the patch

thanks

Attachments:
  1. delay-loop-generator
Jun 30, 2013 at 3:44am

in m4l there’s m4l.vdelay~ – it’s essentially ej.vdb~

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:51am

AFAICT The max ‘equivalents’ of delwrite = tapin~ and vd~ = tapout~ (not sure about 4 point interpolation FWIW). A signal should be connected to the tapout~ inlet to enable continuous variation in the delay time (as illustrated in the right hand part of the tapout~ help file)

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:39am

>not sure about 4 point interpolation FWIW

that’s the most crucial part of the OP; that when messing with the delay time it should have those “looping-stretching-compressing effects”

You get those by using “variable delay buffers”, called VDBs. Those take it from the wibbly-wobbly territory into the timey-wimey territory.

They’re excellent FSU objects too, they’ve been my go-to for a number of years now.
Interestingly they make great looper objects too, since they handle delay-time-changes so elegantly.

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:30am

Thanks for the clarification Wetterburg. That makes more sense of the original request – and I learned something…

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:45am

If you haven’t tried m4l.vdelay~, do go and have a play with it, it’s pretty amazing.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:04pm

thanks, just got m4l.vdelay up but no help file.
Any idea where I can get an example?

thanks for your help, really appreciate it

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:36pm

sorry, found it in m4l-patches tools resources.
But I still can’t get anything from it. No sound.

Am I right to think I patch a sound source say mic or sample playback) into left inlet and control delay time through right inlet, and resulting audio signal should come out outlet? I don’t get any sound.

Also, can you control feedback of delays?

sorry for my ignorance on this

drew

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:50pm

Hi,

M4L.vdelay is an abstraction. You can doubleclick it to see how it works. You need to connect a tapin~ instead of a direct audio signal…

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:55am

Does this help?

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:23am

ahh yes, thanks got that now.
Excuse my ignorance, I have that working but am struggling to get a looping effect.

should I also be connecting a tapout~ somewhere? or feeding the signal back into M4L.vdelay somehow to create real time loops to manipulate?

sorry for my confusion, if you know of any examples I can look at using M4L.vdelay I’d be happy to research from there

much appreciated

drew

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:00am

thanks will have to look at it later, but i’m sure it will be great help, again thanks

drew

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:27pm

finally got to looking at the patch, made it make more sense for me.

thank you very much, most appreciated

drew

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.