IP Camera and h.264

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:18am

IP Camera and h.264

Hello,

I plan to buy several IP cameras to use with jitter. It seems that using mpeg4 is easier than using mjpeg streams. But if i use a cam with h.264 stream, will it be the same as MPEG4 stream ?

Thank you

Maxime

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:12pm

hi max,

I’ve some experience with IP cameras, and I think the most important feature you have to care about is the ability to send a video flow like RTSP, RTP or HTTP

but many cheap IP cameras just have an HTML page that refreshes every x seconde and displays a JPEG image corresponding to the last frame grabbed from the CCD/CMOS sensor.

after that you can grab an RTSP/RTP stream with jit.qt.movie and benefit from all codecs supported by Quicktime and more if you are using the Perian toolkit
don’t forget that the choice of the codec and its configuration will define the latency from which you’ll suffer.

best

a.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:11am

Hi,

thank you for your answer. I plan to buy these cams:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/fr/mpeg4-sans-fil-a-Internet-pan-tilt-ip-camera—webcam–yp-06094-_p56061.html

it’s not easy to see if it can send a video flow (rtsp, http, …), or if it just use a html page…

What cam do you use ?

Thank you !!

Maxime

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:48am

i’ve tested the Advance Netcam WB-IP01A which looks like yours but it’s ethernet not wifi
this cam does’t send a video flow but a web server embedded on the device provides an interface to see the images (this is a .cgi page)
I couldn’t get the video into another soft than a web browser…
I did’t try but maybe you could get the video within the jweb object…

i’ve also tested an AXIS IP cam which send an RTSP stream (i don’t remember the ref…)
it’s quite difficult to get low latency video streaming and i had to use gstreamer under linux to decode the flow with low latency (but in this case i didn’t use MaxMSP at all…)

best

antoine

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.