iPad apps

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:12pm

iPad apps

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has tried creating a standalone application on a mac to be controlled by the iPad? Also, this maybe a very stupid question, is it possible to launch standalone apps made in max on the ipad? Or is this totally not possible due to no JAVA support/ different OS etc?

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:18pm

Additionally, is there anyway to, for example, save a patch in Fantastick or some other osc… or will a totally iOS ready app have to be written using ‘x-code’?

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:21pm

People are regularly controlling Max patches with apps on the iPad that use OSC (touchOSC, Fantastick, C74, mrmr etc). As far as I know Ipad apps need to be made with xcode (more of an apple constriction than a hardware one I believe), but I’m no expert!

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:41am

I have both TouchOSC and c74. I am currently building a patch that works with TouchOSC with great success. I got c74 a while ago and had a lot of issues. But there was a recent update which expanded it to the iPad and fixed a lot of the bugs. I am excited to test it out again.

So to answer your question: you cannot build a standalone max patch for the iPad, but you can indirectly. By building a standalone for OSX or Windows and then using a VNC viewer or something :)

GW

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:30am

You might want to check out the iPad apps, ‘iDisplay’ and ‘air display’ too, though reviews aren’t too good and they look terribly laggy.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:27pm

Thanks guys good info, much appreciated. If anyone else out there has any thoughts I’d love to hear them
J

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:05am

I’ve successfully used TouchOSC on several ocassions now with a bunch of different projects, it’s a really great app to use with Max. Its main limitation is probably its appearance, which isn’t that customisable beyond layout, size and colour of controls. I think c74 is probably the app for a customisable GUI – if it can access webpages and therefore images – however I’ve had some issues using this before, mainly with the external, although I can’t say I tried too hard last time I was experimenting. I’ve not used Mrmr or Fantastick as much as either of those two but everyone has their own tastes I suppose! I’m just glad to see that such a good selection of apps is emerging and developing all the time.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:08am

I should also note that I’m still using iPhone versions of all of the apps, although I’ll hopefully be acquring an iPad come the next refresh.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:45am

Hello, I just finished a tour with a VBC (Very Big Client) using an ipad with Touch OSC and Jitter.
It worked flawlessly indeed. Very easy to use as well.
Cheers,
Stuart

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.