Forums > MaxMSP

IPhone 3g to Max MSP?

September 21, 2008 | 5:17 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, but I’ve been using max/msp jitter for about 6 months now, and made various applications, most of which using aka.wiiremote by Masayuki Akamatsu.

My question: has anyone made a patch to connect the 3g iphone using the 2.1 firmware. I’ve been searching these forums and a few others but it seems as if a decent method for connect the iphone to max has been lost since the 2.0 software and the loss of installer.app

I noticed that Masayuki Akamatsu has done some development for the iphone 3g and has applications in the store, however none of them seem to be related to connecting Max.

Anyone have any ideas? and I apologize if someone has already posted this question, but I wasn’t able to find a solid answer from anything I have found.

Thanks a lot!


September 21, 2008 | 5:25 pm

There are two applications in the app store that send Open Sound Control (OSC) messages to Max. One is called TouchOSC and the other OSCemote. They are both around $1.

I’ve tried both apps and I think they are both pretty solid. TouchOsc has a wider variety of layouts, but OSCemote has the capability of sending accelerometer data over OSC.


September 21, 2008 | 8:50 pm

buy OSCemote from the app store or some of those midi controllers in
the music section and you’re done
there is still installer, check the ipone dev website
but I dont think Masayuki has updated his software yet in any case.

tom

On 21 Sep 2008, at 18:17, Alix wrote:

>
> Hey everyone, this is my first post here, but I’ve been using max/
> msp jitter for about 6 months now, and made various applications,
> most of which using aka.wiiremote by Masayuki Akamatsu.
>
> My question: has anyone made a patch to connect the 3g iphone using
> the 2.1 firmware. I’ve been searching these forums and a few others
> but it seems as if a decent method for connect the iphone to max has
> been lost since the 2.0 software and the loss of installer.app
>
> I noticed that Masayuki Akamatsu has done some development for the
> iphone 3g and has applications in the store, however none of them
> seem to be related to connecting Max.
>
> Anyone have any ideas? and I apologize if someone has already posted
> this question, but I wasn’t able to find a solid answer from
> anything I have found.
>
> Thanks a lot!


September 21, 2008 | 9:14 pm

I’m pumped to try these. Question though: is it OK to install the new firmware over a jailbroken iPhone, or will Apple "know" this and send its jailbreak police to come and beat me? Or worse, cause my phone to blow up?


September 21, 2008 | 11:58 pm

Great, I got OSCemote installed and running on my iphone, it looks exactly what I’m looking for.

I’m looking now for a Max/MSP patch for connecting the OSC to my patch and having it control my arduino. I have everything in place but the connection from the phone. Again I’ve been looking around but I must have missed some acronym at some point and cant seem to find anything to get me into Max.

Thanks a lot for all your help!


September 22, 2008 | 4:27 am

it is fine to install the 2.1 update over a jailbroken phone. you will have to re-jailbreak it, but nothing else bad will happen, as far as i can tell (having done it earlier this week).

OSCemote and TouchOSC are great, but anyone know of an iphone app that will allow one to send textual data to the iphone from the mac for display, as well as control data from the iphone to the mac?

thx


September 22, 2008 | 9:53 am

hello

I attached a max 4.6 patch, but it does only implement the sliders and
the multitouch, not the pads yet.

To use more parameters just connect a print object to the
OpenSoundControl object’s output, to see what is exactly the message
you have to route.

that’s it

max v2;
#N vpatcher 126 82 776 444;
#P origin 0 30;
#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P window linecount 1;
#P newex 456 128 32 196617 s sl5;
#P newex 393 128 32 196617 s sl4;
#P newex 355 128 32 196617 s sl3;
#P newex 319 128 32 196617 s sl2;
#P newex 281 128 32 196617 s sl1;
#P newex 281 93 269 196617 route /slider/1 /slider/2 /slider/3 /slider/
4 /slider/5;
#B color 6;
#P newex 188 39 32 196617 print;
#P newex 342 238 36 196617 s xy4;
#P newex 287 238 36 196617 s xy3;
#P newex 232 238 36 196617 s xy2;
#P newex 177 238 36 196617 s xy1;
#P flonum 521 299 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 484 299 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 444 299 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P newex 444 274 115 196617 unpack 0. 0. 0.;
#P button 16 85 22 0;
#P flonum 400 299 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 363 299 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 323 299 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P newex 323 274 115 196617 unpack 0. 0. 0.;
#P flonum 278 300 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 241 300 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 201 300 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P newex 201 275 115 196617 unpack 0. 0. 0.;
#P flonum 156 301 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 119 301 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 79 301 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P newex 79 276 115 196617 unpack 0. 0. 0.;
#P newex 177 208 289 196617 route 1 2 3 4 5;
#B color 14;
#P newex 146 183 73 196617 route fseq set;
#B color 14;
#P flonum 85 219 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 48 219 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P flonum 8 219 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P newex 8 194 115 196617 unpack 0. 0. 0.;
#P newex 8 155 121 196617 route /acceleration/xyz;
#B color 5;
#P newex 142 94 89 196617 route /button/B1;
#B color 6;
#P newex 16 61 87 196617 opensoundcontrol;
#P newex 16 24 116 196617 udpreceive 3333 cnmat;
#P newex 146 155 93 196617 route /tuio/2Dcur;
#B color 14;
#P fasten 2 1 4 0 59 124 13 124;
#P connect 4 0 5 0;
#P connect 5 0 6 0;
#P connect 1 0 2 0;
#P connect 2 0 23 0;
#P connect 5 1 7 0;
#P fasten 10 0 11 0 182 275 84 275;
#P connect 11 0 12 0;
#P connect 5 2 8 0;
#P connect 11 1 13 0;
#P fasten 2 1 3 0 59 86 147 86;
#P fasten 2 1 0 0 59 124 151 124;
#P connect 0 0 9 0;
#P connect 11 2 14 0;
#P connect 9 1 10 0;
#P connect 10 0 28 0;
#P connect 2 1 32 0;
#P fasten 10 1 15 0 237 237 206 237;
#P connect 15 0 16 0;
#P connect 10 1 29 0;
#P connect 15 1 17 0;
#P connect 15 2 18 0;
#P fasten 2 1 33 0 286 78;
#P connect 33 0 34 0;
#P connect 10 2 30 0;
#P connect 33 1 35 0;
#P fasten 10 2 19 0 292 273 328 273;
#P connect 19 0 20 0;
#P connect 10 3 31 0;
#P connect 33 2 36 0;
#P connect 19 1 21 0;
#P connect 33 3 37 0;
#P connect 19 2 22 0;
#P fasten 10 3 24 0 347 273 449 273;
#P connect 24 0 25 0;
#P connect 33 4 38 0;
#P connect 24 1 26 0;
#P connect 24 2 27 0;
#P pop;

On 22 Sep 2008, at 00:58, Alix wrote:

>
> Great, I got OSCemote installed and running on my iphone, it looks
> exactly what I’m looking for.
>
> I’m looking now for a Max/MSP patch for connecting the OSC to my
> patch and having it control my arduino. I have everything in place
> but the connection from the phone. Again I’ve been looking around
> but I must have missed some acronym at some point and cant seem to
> find anything to get me into Max.
>
> Thanks a lot for all your help!


September 22, 2008 | 9:58 am

Masayuki made a earlier attempt to send text from iphone
can be of inspiration maybe for you

check it out here

http://www.iamas.ac.jp/~aka/

On 22 Sep 2008, at 05:27, Jer Welter wrote:

>
> it is fine to install the 2.1 update over a jailbroken phone. you
> will have to re-jailbreak it, but nothing else bad will happen, as
> far as i can tell (having done it earlier this week).
>
> OSCemote and TouchOSC are great, but anyone know of an iphone app
> that will allow one to send textual data to the iphone from the mac
> for display, as well as control data from the iphone to the mac?
>
> thx


September 22, 2008 | 6:18 pm

Thanks for submitting your max patch, I plugged it in and it looks great, but I’m having trouble getting my phone connected to the it, I’ve set my phone settings to the correct ip address and then port 3333 but when I hit the button I’m not seeing any of the fields start to receive data.

Thanks again for all your help, it’s MUCH appreciated!

Quote: tomgalileo wrote on Mon, 22 September 2008 05:53
—————————————————-
> hello
>
> I attached a max 4.6 patch, but it does only implement the sliders and
> the multitouch, not the pads yet.
>
> To use more parameters just connect a print object to the
> OpenSoundControl object’s output, to see what is exactly the message
> you have to route.
>
> that’s it
>

>
>
>
>
> On 22 Sep 2008, at 00:58, Alix wrote:
>
> >
> > Great, I got OSCemote installed and running on my iphone, it looks
> > exactly what I’m looking for.
> >
> > I’m looking now for a Max/MSP patch for connecting the OSC to my
> > patch and having it control my arduino. I have everything in place
> > but the connection from the phone. Again I’ve been looking around
> > but I must have missed some acronym at some point and cant seem to
> > find anything to get me into Max.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for all your help!
>
>
>
>
—————————————————-


September 22, 2008 | 9:33 pm

I experienced that
first you have to set your settings on computer, then on iphone
then close the OSCemote and reopen.

then open the max patch.

if you change the settings while the max patch is already open it does
not work.

this is what happens to me.
I think is a udp send/receive and wifi behaviour,

the patch is fine…i use it everyday

try…

On 22 Sep 2008, at 19:18, Alix wrote:

>
> Thanks for submitting your max patch, I plugged it in and it looks
> great, but I’m having trouble getting my phone connected to the it,
> I’ve set my phone settings to the correct ip address and then port
> 3333 but when I hit the button I’m not seeing any of the fields
> start to receive data.
>
> Thanks again for all your help, it’s MUCH appreciated!
>
>
> Quote: tomgalileo wrote on Mon, 22 September 2008 05:53
> —————————————————-
>> hello
>>
>> I attached a max 4.6 patch, but it does only implement the sliders
>> and
>> the multitouch, not the pads yet.
>>
>> To use more parameters just connect a print object to the
>> OpenSoundControl object’s output, to see what is exactly the message
>> you have to route.
>>
>> that’s it
>>
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 22 Sep 2008, at 00:58, Alix wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Great, I got OSCemote installed and running on my iphone, it looks
>>> exactly what I’m looking for.
>>>
>>> I’m looking now for a Max/MSP patch for connecting the OSC to my
>>> patch and having it control my arduino. I have everything in place
>>> but the connection from the phone. Again I’ve been looking around
>>> but I must have missed some acronym at some point and cant seem to
>>> find anything to get me into Max.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for all your help!
>>
>>
>>
>>
> —————————————————-
>
>


September 22, 2008 | 10:29 pm

I apologize for my lack of understanding but this is the first time working with anything OSC related, so when you say the settings "on computer" before max/msp, what are those settings? do i need to be running something else to recieve OSC input?

Also one other side question, when I input the IP address of the host from my phone, do I want to use my local ip, 192.681.something.something or my external network ip?

Thanks!

Quote: tomgalileo wrote on Mon, 22 September 2008 17:33
—————————————————-
> I experienced that
> first you have to set your settings on computer, then on iphone
> then close the OSCemote and reopen.
>
> then open the max patch.
>
>
> if you change the settings while the max patch is already open it does
> not work.
>
>
> this is what happens to me.
> I think is a udp send/receive and wifi behaviour,
>
> the patch is fine…i use it everyday
>
> try…
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 22 Sep 2008, at 19:18, Alix wrote:
>
> >
> > Thanks for submitting your max patch, I plugged it in and it looks
> > great, but I’m having trouble getting my phone connected to the it,
> > I’ve set my phone settings to the correct ip address and then port
> > 3333 but when I hit the button I’m not seeing any of the fields
> > start to receive data.
> >
> > Thanks again for all your help, it’s MUCH appreciated!
> >
> >
> > Quote: tomgalileo wrote on Mon, 22 September 2008 05:53
> > —————————————————-
> >> hello
> >>
> >> I attached a max 4.6 patch, but it does only implement the sliders
> >> and
> >> the multitouch, not the pads yet.
> >>
> >> To use more parameters just connect a print object to the
> >> OpenSoundControl object’s output, to see what is exactly the message
> >> you have to route.
> >>
> >> that’s it
> >>
> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On 22 Sep 2008, at 00:58, Alix wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>> Great, I got OSCemote installed and running on my iphone, it looks
> >>> exactly what I’m looking for.
> >>>
> >>> I’m looking now for a Max/MSP patch for connecting the OSC to my
> >>> patch and having it control my arduino. I have everything in place
> >>> but the connection from the phone. Again I’ve been looking around
> >>> but I must have missed some acronym at some point and cant seem to
> >>> find anything to get me into Max.
> >>>
> >>> Thanks a lot for all your help!
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> > —————————————————-
> >
> >
>
>
—————————————————-


September 22, 2008 | 11:11 pm

sorry, no settings on computer, just make sure you know the exact ip
address.
You dont need anything else than your computer IP address to
communicate with osc.

you have to tell osc which is the ip address of your computer
so on the network to which your computer is connected to, you will
find the ip address of your computer.

On a mac: go under system preferences, network, airport and you’ll
find the ip.
On pc i dont know.

The ip is the address assigned to your computer by the router (that
you should have as you are on wifi).
Not the external, which is the one of the router.

hope it’s clear…
let me know

On 22 Sep 2008, at 23:29, Alix wrote:

>
> I apologize for my lack of understanding but this is the first time
> working with anything OSC related, so when you say the settings "on
> computer" before max/msp, what are those settings? do i need to be
> running something else to recieve OSC input?
>
> Also one other side question, when I input the IP address of the
> host from my phone, do I want to use my local ip,
> 192.681.something.something or my external network ip?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> Quote: tomgalileo wrote on Mon, 22 September 2008 17:33
> —————————————————-
>> I experienced that
>> first you have to set your settings on computer, then on iphone
>> then close the OSCemote and reopen.
>>
>> then open the max patch.
>>
>>
>> if you change the settings while the max patch is already open it
>> does
>> not work.
>>
>>
>> this is what happens to me.
>> I think is a udp send/receive and wifi behaviour,
>>
>> the patch is fine…i use it everyday
>>
>> try…
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 22 Sep 2008, at 19:18, Alix wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Thanks for submitting your max patch, I plugged it in and it looks
>>> great, but I’m having trouble getting my phone connected to the it,
>>> I’ve set my phone settings to the correct ip address and then port
>>> 3333 but when I hit the button I’m not seeing any of the fields
>>> start to receive data.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for all your help, it’s MUCH appreciated!
>>>
>>>
>>> Quote: tomgalileo wrote on Mon, 22 September 2008 05:53
>>> —————————————————-
>>>> hello
>>>>
>>>> I attached a max 4.6 patch, but it does only implement the sliders
>>>> and
>>>> the multitouch, not the pads yet.
>>>>
>>>> To use more parameters just connect a print object to the
>>>> OpenSoundControl object’s output, to see what is exactly the
>>>> message
>>>> you have to route.
>>>>
>>>> that’s it
>>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 22 Sep 2008, at 00:58, Alix wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Great, I got OSCemote installed and running on my iphone, it looks
>>>>> exactly what I’m looking for.
>>>>>
>>>>> I’m looking now for a Max/MSP patch for connecting the OSC to my
>>>>> patch and having it control my arduino. I have everything in place
>>>>> but the connection from the phone. Again I’ve been looking around
>>>>> but I must have missed some acronym at some point and cant seem to
>>>>> find anything to get me into Max.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks a lot for all your help!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> —————————————————-
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
> —————————————————-
>
>


September 22, 2008 | 11:42 pm

here’s a patch I made for oscemote. All of the controls are implemented.

http://trackteamaudio.com/data/OSCeroutev1.zip


September 23, 2008 | 6:47 am


September 23, 2008 | 9:47 am


September 23, 2008 | 4:37 pm

> > … and why not an iPhone app named… Max Runtime?
> >
> > Possible or not?

Apple’s ridiculous application agreement prohibits, among many other things, "programming languages" from running on the iPhone. One could go the jailbreak route as apparently someone has done with Pd, but I feel strangely obligated not to offend giant and powerful companies. Fortunately, as of this morning, the iPhone is no longer the only game in town.

David Z.


September 23, 2008 | 5:39 pm

I’d just like to thank everyone who posted here, I really appreciate the help you guys gave me! I’m making great headway on this project. I’ve already made my Thursday deadline for class so now I have time to add to my patch and it wouldn’t have been possible with out everyone’s help!

Thanks so much!!


September 24, 2008 | 9:41 am

Philippe Montemont wrote:
> … and why not an iPhone app named… Max Runtime?
>
> Possible or not?

It depends. From what I have seen and done so far on the iPhone I would
say the audio part could be done. Floating point performance is quite
good for a mobile device. The tricky part would be the GUI, since it
would probably need a complete rewrite (at least the Max5 GUI, not so
much the more native-Mac Max4 GUI, but that’s just speculation based on
what I have heard how the GUIs are implemented).
When I started iPhone development I thought for a short moment why not
port Pd to iPhone, but the problem there as well is the GUI. You can’t
have two third party apps running at the same time and in Pd the
processing engine and the GUI are two separate programs. Porting the
audio part of it would probably be a week of work.

Olaf


September 24, 2008 | 2:29 pm

There are two application for the iPhone which send and receive OSC.
Not exactly running Max on the phone, but a nice, flexible interface
for a patch running elsewhere.

Ean

On Sep 24, 2008, at 5:41 AM, Olaf Matthes wrote:

> Philippe Montemont wrote:
>> … and why not an iPhone app named… Max Runtime?
>> Possible or not?
>
> It depends. From what I have seen and done so far on the iPhone I
> would say the audio part could be done. Floating point performance
> is quite good for a mobile device. The tricky part would be the GUI,
> since it would probably need a complete rewrite (at least the Max5
> GUI, not so much the more native-Mac Max4 GUI, but that’s just
> speculation based on what I have heard how the GUIs are implemented).
> When I started iPhone development I thought for a short moment why
> not port Pd to iPhone, but the problem there as well is the GUI. You
> can’t have two third party apps running at the same time and in Pd
> the processing engine and the GUI are two separate programs. Porting
> the audio part of it would probably be a week of work.
>
> Olaf


September 26, 2008 | 9:12 am

People should also check out the very promising Haplome app for iPhone, which is a sort of monome emulator (http://monome.org/) for, eh, those of us who have an iPhone but not a monome.

Check it out here:

http://toddtreece.com/haplome/

It’s currently being redesigned and reprogrammed. The 1.0 version uses OSC, but it seems the creator has decided it isn’t working the way it should, so a TCPIP/bonjour solution seems to be the next step.

Btw, it’s also free.


October 1, 2008 | 12:01 pm

Has anyone managed to control the multi touch data from OSCemote in a better way than what currently seems possible?

I have noticed that if you already hold down one finger on the multi touch screen in OSCemote, then touch with a second finger, then release that second finger while still holding down the first finger, things will get confusing.

Because once you tap down your second finger again, that particular touch is assigned another ID than the previous (second finger) touch. So while the first touch seems to hold an ID of "1", each subsequent touch (and lift, and touch again), will be assigned an ID of +1 – that is, first "2", then "3", then "4" … then "40", then "41" etc. etc.

Lift every finger off the iPhone, though, and things reset and start over again.

This makes the multi touch very unpredictable for controlling data.

Any ideas?


October 1, 2008 | 12:19 pm

I’ve noticed what you are talking about. I haven’t used the multi touch much yet but I was planning on doing something where I define any input in a certain quadrant (ie top and bottom. Looking for input based on location of touch and not a sequence. But that method is only applicable to some applications.


October 1, 2008 | 12:56 pm


October 1, 2008 | 12:58 pm



Nat
October 1, 2008 | 6:20 pm

You can also check mrmr which allows you to do your own layouts :

http://poly.share.dj/projects/#mrmr


October 2, 2008 | 10:44 pm

>> You can also check mrmr which allows you to do your own layouts

That looks great, will definitely try it out. Thanks for the info. I knew these gadgets would be useful in tons of ways, and Max is definitely a great way to interface with them.

>> Because once you tap down your second finger again, that particular touch is assigned another ID than the previous (second finger) touch. So while the first touch seems to hold an ID of "1", each subsequent touch (and lift, and touch again), will be assigned an ID of +1 – that is, first "2", then "3", then "4" … then "40", then "41" etc. etc.

I noticed that too. I guess in some ways that could be handy to access more than 5 XY data streams, by holding one finger, but it’s less than intuitive. I suppose you could use a button to tell where the streams should go, but that’s also kludgey. Using more than two fingers on that small screen is kind of tricky anyways.

If there is some sort of indicator flag that "there is a finger pressing down", even if it’s not moving, then maybe all subsequent incoming streams could be directed manually to a sequential set of XY in Max, using gate and counter perhaps. That way the weird incremental numbering would work the way one would expect.

–CJ


November 11, 2008 | 10:07 pm

Im new to max and have many questions but am slowly finding my way around. One of my questions is related to phones but not the I phone. I am hoping to use my Nokia N95 to control various functions within in a max/MSP/Jitter patch. Would any of you have any suggestions on how I interface the two? Im using Max 5 on a macbook (OS Leopard). Any pointers, particularly if there are previous examples online somewhere (vids, tutorials, forums etc) would be much appreciated. I read the above posts with much interest, what a fine bunch of developers you all are! It’s good to see a range of experienced users attacking, and what would appear to be, solving problems for the less experienced users


November 11, 2008 | 10:17 pm

check oscemote on application store on itunes!

On 11 Nov 2008, at 22:07, Michael Bandoni wrote:

>
> Im new to max and have many questions but am slowly finding my way
> around. One of my questions is related to phones but not the I
> phone. I am hoping to use my Nokia N95 to control various functions
> within in a max/MSP/Jitter patch. Would any of you have any
> suggestions on how I interface the two? Im using Max 5 on a macbook
> (OS Leopard). Any pointers, particularly if there are previous
> examples online somewhere (vids, tutorials, forums etc) would be
> much appreciated. I read the above posts with much interest, what a
> fine bunch of developers you all are! It’s good to see a range of
> experienced users attacking, and what would appear to be, solving
> problems for the less experienced users


November 16, 2008 | 12:01 pm


November 17, 2008 | 12:07 am

That’s really helpful, I’ll check it out. Thanks so much!


November 18, 2008 | 9:38 am

Quote: Olaf Matthes wrote on Wed, 24 September 2008 11:41
—————————————————-
> Philippe Montemont wrote:
> > … and why not an iPhone app named… Max Runtime?
> >
> > Possible or not?
>
> It depends. From what I have seen and done so far on the iPhone I would
> say the audio part could be done. Floating point performance is quite
> good for a mobile device. The tricky part would be the GUI, since it
> would probably need a complete rewrite (at least the Max5 GUI, not so
> much the more native-Mac Max4 GUI, but that’s just speculation based on
> what I have heard how the GUIs are implemented).
> When I started iPhone development I thought for a short moment why not
> port Pd to iPhone, but the problem there as well is the GUI. You can’t
> have two third party apps running at the same time and in Pd the
> processing engine and the GUI are two separate programs. Porting the
> audio part of it would probably be a week of work.
>
> Olaf
—————————————————-

at least a max runtime should be possible, now that rjdj made it to the app store. and having standard iphone user interface elements to control the patch instead of a max ui would not be too bad.

k


November 18, 2008 | 10:01 am

>
>—————————————————-
>
>at least a max runtime should be possible, now that rjdj made it to
>the app store.

what is rjdj????

Kasper

Kasper T. Toeplitz
noise, composition, bass, computer

http://www.sleazeArt.com

http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart


November 18, 2008 | 11:33 am

> what is rjdj????

google?


November 18, 2008 | 11:36 am

> what is rjdj????

it runs pd patches on the iphone. allows you to use the mic input and sensors for interaction.


November 18, 2008 | 1:12 pm

it’s fantasic!

http://www.rjdj.me

go for it!

On 18 Nov 2008, at 10:01, Kasper T Toeplitz wrote:

>>
>> —————————————————-
>>
>> at least a max runtime should be possible, now that rjdj made it to
>> the app store.
>
>
>
> what is rjdj????
>
> Kasper
> —
> Kasper T. Toeplitz
> noise, composition, bass, computer
> http://www.sleazeArt.com
>
> http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart
>


November 18, 2008 | 4:11 pm

Wow, this IS cool.

So with this development, David Z, since it seems as though these guys have
somehow complied with Apple’s terms of use (the app is distributed in the
Apple App Store), would Cycling reconsider building an iPhone Max Runtime?

Dan

On 11/18/08 8:12 AM, "Tommaso Perego" wrote:

> it’s fantasic!
>
> http://www.rjdj.me
>
> go for it!
>
>
> On 18 Nov 2008, at 10:01, Kasper T Toeplitz wrote:
>
>>> at least a max runtime should be possible, now that rjdj made it to
>>> the app store.
>>
>>
>>
>> what is rjdj????
>>
>> Kasper


Dan Nigrin – Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction
http://defectiverecords.com

http://jackosx.com


November 18, 2008 | 5:46 pm

Cycling has already replied to this thread or similar already,
saying it’s not possible for the moment…

On 18 Nov 2008, at 16:11, Dan Nigrin wrote:

> Wow, this IS cool.
>
> So with this development, David Z, since it seems as though these
> guys have
> somehow complied with Apple’s terms of use (the app is distributed
> in the
> Apple App Store), would Cycling reconsider building an iPhone Max
> Runtime?
>
> Dan
>
>
> On 11/18/08 8:12 AM, "Tommaso Perego" wrote:
>
>> it’s fantasic!
>>
>> http://www.rjdj.me
>>
>> go for it!
>>
>>
>> On 18 Nov 2008, at 10:01, Kasper T Toeplitz wrote:
>>
>>>> at least a max runtime should be possible, now that rjdj made it to
>>>> the app store.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> what is rjdj????
>>>
>>> Kasper
>
> —
> Dan Nigrin – Defective Records
> 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction
> http://defectiverecords.com
> http://jackosx.com
>
>
>


November 18, 2008 | 6:08 pm

Yes, but I think David’s objection revolved around Apple’s terms of use,
which apparently are not an obstacle after all…

Dan

On 11/18/08 12:46 PM, "Tommaso Perego" wrote:

> Cycling has already replied to this thread or similar already,
> saying it’s not possible for the moment…
>
>
>
> On 18 Nov 2008, at 16:11, Dan Nigrin wrote:
>
>> Wow, this IS cool.
>>
>> So with this development, David Z, since it seems as though these
>> guys have
>> somehow complied with Apple’s terms of use (the app is distributed
>> in the
>> Apple App Store), would Cycling reconsider building an iPhone Max
>> Runtime?
>>
>> Dan
>>
>>
>> On 11/18/08 8:12 AM, "Tommaso Perego" wrote:
>>
>>> it’s fantasic!
>>>
>>> http://www.rjdj.me
>>>
>>> go for it!
>>>
>>>
>>> On 18 Nov 2008, at 10:01, Kasper T Toeplitz wrote:
>>>
>>>>> at least a max runtime should be possible, now that rjdj made it to
>>>>> the app store.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> what is rjdj????
>>>>
>>>> Kasper
>>
>> —
>> Dan Nigrin – Defective Records
>> 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction
>> http://defectiverecords.com
>> http://jackosx.com
>>
>>
>>
>


Dan Nigrin – Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction
http://defectiverecords.com

http://jackosx.com


November 18, 2008 | 6:33 pm

it would be great so, really!!

On 18 Nov 2008, at 18:08, Dan Nigrin wrote:

> Yes, but I think David’s objection revolved around Apple’s terms of
> use,
> which apparently are not an obstacle after all…
>
> Dan
>
>
> On 11/18/08 12:46 PM, "Tommaso Perego" wrote:
>
>> Cycling has already replied to this thread or similar already,
>> saying it’s not possible for the moment…
>>
>>
>>
>> On 18 Nov 2008, at 16:11, Dan Nigrin wrote:
>>
>>> Wow, this IS cool.
>>>
>>> So with this development, David Z, since it seems as though these
>>> guys have
>>> somehow complied with Apple’s terms of use (the app is distributed
>>> in the
>>> Apple App Store), would Cycling reconsider building an iPhone Max
>>> Runtime?
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>
>>>
>>> On 11/18/08 8:12 AM, "Tommaso Perego"
wrote:
>>>
>>>> it’s fantasic!
>>>>
>>>> http://www.rjdj.me
>>>>
>>>> go for it!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 18 Nov 2008, at 10:01, Kasper T Toeplitz wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>> at least a max runtime should be possible, now that rjdj made
>>>>>> it to
>>>>>> the app store.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> what is rjdj????
>>>>>
>>>>> Kasper
>>>
>>> —
>>> Dan Nigrin – Defective Records
>>> 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction
>>> http://defectiverecords.com
>>> http://jackosx.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
> —
> Dan Nigrin – Defective Records
> 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction
> http://defectiverecords.com
> http://jackosx.com
>
>
>


November 19, 2008 | 7:22 am

Quote: Dan Nigrin wrote on Tue, 18 November 2008 10:08
—————————————————-
> Yes, but I think David’s objection revolved around Apple’s terms of use,
> which apparently are not an obstacle after all…
>

Except RjDj is not really Pd. You can’t freely make patches and put them on the phone. From their wiki pages (http://trac.rjdj.me/wiki/TestingScenes):
"Currently there is no easy way to put patches on the iPhone. If you have done a scene and want us to include it in the distribution, send it to scenes _AT_ rjdj dot me."

So you can send them patches and hope they might include it in the distribution with a future version. Doesn’t seem like a good system to me. If C74 releases Max for the phone and we couldn’t put our own patches on there, we’d certainly all be bitching about it. Your only real option is to hack your phone, which definitely violates Apple’s terms, and some people might be unwilling to do that (personally I can’t risk my phone malfunctioning, or getting bricked by a firmware update).

Apple/AT&T doesn’t want the end user running aribratray programs on their phone. You have to go through the app store to do it. RjDj probably found a loophole by not letting you run Pd patches directly.


November 19, 2008 | 2:09 pm

> Apple/AT&T doesn’t want the end user running aribratray programs on their
> phone. You have to go through the app store to do it. RjDj probably found a
> loophole by not letting you run Pd patches directly.

Good points Adam – I also noted that you currently have to hack the iPhone
and use SSH to get your own patches on it without their assistance.
Hopefully they will find a way around this (I’ve got to believe it is
possible technically), and still manage to comply with Apple’s guidelines.

Otherwise, there’s always Android!

Dan

Dan Nigrin – Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / Jack OS X / Major Malfunction
http://defectiverecords.com

http://jackosx.com


February 28, 2009 | 3:06 am

Sometime ago I did this http://josef-prusa.eu/obsah/blog-eng/iphone2midi-controll-your-software-with-iphone-finally-clever.html Smile I hope you enjoy it.


January 8, 2010 | 10:02 am

there’s also http://pinktwins.com/fantastick/


Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)