Forums > MaxMSP

IR detection problem – DarwinRemote/aka.wiimote – on PBG4

June 28, 2008 | 12:47 pm

Hello,

I tryed the wiimote with DarwinRemote software and IR works fine on my PowerBoook G4.

Unfortunately, inside Max with aka.wiimote and IR checked I get nothing (all others wii ctl work fine).

Could someone confirm.
Does it come from the aka.wiimote object version I have? or from my G4?

thank you very much.

June 28, 2008 | 2:24 pm

I

June 28, 2008 | 5:00 pm

Hi falk,

> you have to keep trying to connect suddendly it

June 30, 2008 | 7:50 pm

Hey

You might be best using OSCulator. Aka.wiiremote is quite buggy. I even used it on a Macbook Pro running leopard.

OSCulator is a free download, and to be honest works much more reliably. The other thing is understanding the messages is quite easy. The infrared is much more reliable.

I had an issue with it too. I’m using a sensor bar, and aka.wiiremote kept reverting to 0,0 on the X and Y.

Its worth trying it. It also has a fix for the bluetooth stack in OS X.

Not saying that aka.wiiremtoe is crap, but it can be problematic.

OSCuloator has a Wiiremote to max preset as well. Real easy to setup

Cheers
Mark

October 14, 2008 | 4:08 pm

Agreed.
aka.wiiremote on max 5 under OS tiger with or without Darwin remote was very unstable here.
OSCULATOR comes with a very nice preset for Max by Kim Cascone and is nonproblematic to set up.

(Hello fellow Max/MSP’ers, this was my first post :)

October 14, 2008 | 4:14 pm

I forgot one thing:

OSCulator is not for free, when you need it to function without interruption. It costs a minimum of $19 to obtain a license, which stops the app from interrupting transmit wii data intermediately, in favor of displaying a reminder screen for about 20 seconds. Nevertheless the app flawlessly reconnects to the wii after that, Max patch operation also resumes without trouble after that.

October 22, 2008 | 4:06 am

Download the wii remote framework from the same site as darwin.
I found that the wii being on or another computer can cause some problems in the wii finding the computer. Also, the red sync button is a lot more accurate from what I can tell, than pressing 1 and 2. Let me know if you get it.

October 22, 2008 | 4:08 am

also, make sure you have some kind of light source (as well as the ir $ checked on)
I tried with a candle, then four candles, and got a pretty good signal, i’m thinking that a battery operated wii sensor bar will do the trick…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)