Forums > MaxMSP

Is it possible and feasible to create a sequencer in MAX/MSP?

November 5, 2006 | 8:15 am

Is MAX/MSP a good environment to create a sequencer and then port it to C++? Or something else would be more suitable?


November 5, 2006 | 11:41 am

ask the ableton guys

> Is MAX/MSP good environment to create a sequencer and then ported to C++?
> Or something else would be more suitable?


November 6, 2006 | 6:52 am

Quote: nesa wrote on Sun, 05 November 2006 04:41
—————————————————-
> ask the ableton guys
>
> > Is MAX/MSP good environment to create a sequencer and then ported to C++?
> > Or something else would be more suitable?
>
>
—————————————————-

Yes, I have heard that they used Max/Msp to create a prototype and then they transfered it to C++

I was wondering how hard it might be to transfer it to C++?

Also, does Max/Msp contain all the needed objects for things like timeline, tracks, envelopes, etc?

Are there any existing hosts/sequencers that run under Max/Msp?



f.e
November 6, 2006 | 9:05 am

Sequencer is *the* missing thing, but max wasn’t designed for this, i
think.

Peter Castine made some usefull objects for this but it’s too expensive
to know what exactly. (note to Peter : a trial demo someday ;-) ?)

Moving from max to c++ *entirely* is not a very good idea (you won’t
recreate all the dsp process, do you ?) but here’s a my advice :
Depending on the projects, i build a new sequencer from scratch, with
all the needed things but not more. My last attempts were focused on the
use of lcd objects. It works great untill you ask it too much (good
graphics, high refresh rate, zooms, too much events…) For complete
projects, i suggest you do your GUI and event manager in OpenGL outside
max (you may ask for help to real OpenGL developpers as it is a pain in
the ass), then use something like OSC in localhost to bind it to max.

The other workaround is to use another sequencing application. Max could
be reached through Midi, OSC or Rewire for example. So you can put
something like FL Studio (99$) in a vst~ host, then make use of midi
tracks and automations inside. Or use it in Rewire mode (more stable).

My personal question to c74 : could i exactly the reverse of this topic
title (from c++ to max) and port my OpenGL applications to UI externals,
in order to have it directly inside max, without problems ?

cheers

f.e

Substorm wrote:
> Quote: nesa wrote on Sun, 05 November 2006 04:41
> —————————————————-
>
>> ask the ableton guys
>>
>>
>>> Is MAX/MSP good environment to create a sequencer and then ported to C++?
>>> Or something else would be more suitable?
>>>
>>
> —————————————————-
>
> Yes, I have heard that they used Max/Msp to create a prototype and then they transfered it to C++
>
> I was wondering how hard it might be to transfer it to C++?
>
> Also, does Max/Msp contain all the needed objects for things like timeline, tracks, envelopes, etc?
>
> Are there any existing hosts/sequencers that run under Max/Msp?
>
>


November 6, 2006 | 9:19 am

> My personal question to c74 : could i exactly the reverse of this topic
> title (from c++ to max) and port my OpenGL applications to UI externals,
> in order to have it directly inside max, without problems ?

Most likely the answer is Yes. I’ve made a few opengl c++ jitter
objects. Making UI objects is possible although I haven’t done it.
You could then output max messages to what you want to control.

wes


November 6, 2006 | 9:08 pm

All with [lcd]

http://www.kineticsoundsystem.com/interface.htm

( )
~ O ~ http://www.kineticsoundsystem.com
( )


November 7, 2006 | 5:10 pm

thats a very nice sequencer. any chance of sharing the code? i’d like to use it


November 8, 2006 | 8:19 pm

my sequencer. still under development, but all you see is lcd..except the keyboard.

http://tsunami.rulez.cz/other/itchy/jebejby.jpg


November 8, 2006 | 10:29 pm

in short: yes. but most people agree that the endeavor/reward factor
is prohibitive.
-matt


November 9, 2006 | 3:14 am

Keep in mind that you may not want to make a full fledged sequencer in max/msp. There are countless sequencers available already.. It might be a better route to look for something that you want your current sequencer to do, and figure out how to use max to integrate that feature into your current working paradigm. I have been a long time Logic Audio user, and I find that Max (for midi at least) integrates pretty seamlessly into the Logic Environment. Routing midi data to and from Max is as simple as dragging a few patch cords. This way I get the best of both worlds, a full fledged sequencing environment with the open ended flexibility of a high level musical programming language.

I have also implemented a few small sequencers in max, but those were concentrated towards a particular compositional idea rather than a replacement for a commercial sequencer. These sequencers did not take more than several weeks of on/off work to complete.


November 9, 2006 | 8:44 pm

it would be nice if there was a simple native sequencer in Max though. detonate is near unusable in my opinion. feature request!
i agree it seems pretty pointless trying to make a full featured linear sequencer in max msp, having tried it…uuugh
at the moment i’m sequencing short chunks of noises in max then arranging them in other programs. cutting, pasting , zooming etc. is just alot easier in live or logic or cubase


November 10, 2006 | 12:37 am

well, there are already sequencers build in max, which you can download free on the internet. the problem is, that everyone wants something different and figuring out someone elses patch and adjusting it to your specific is quite difficult. i personally think that i have chosen an approach that will be global enough so this app can be usefull to a number of people: approach of taking a classical sequencer beyond what it currently is. while it is possible to work with it and get sequences sounding like on a "classic" step sequencer, various functions allow you to compose in different ways as weel as mangle your sequences live. it has taken me a lot of time, but the result is something that will do my music quickly and the results will be original. it is packed with my own music theories. howeevr universal, it will never saitsfie everybody


November 10, 2006 | 2:21 am

I don’t know much about sequencers, but has anyone tried using
jit.buffer~ and matrix ops to create a sequencer. You could probably
use the src/dstdim attributes of jit.matrix to move samples around.

wes

On 11/9/06, me and him wrote:
>
> well, there are already sequencers build in max, which you can download free on the internet. the problem is, that everyone wants something different and figuring out someone elses patch and adjusting it to your specific is quite difficult. i personally think that i have chosen an approach that will be global enough so this app can be usefull to a number of people: approach of taking a classical sequencer beyond what it currently is. while it is possible to work with it and get sequences sounding like on a "classic" step sequencer, various functions allow you to compose in different ways as weel as mangle your sequences live. it has taken me a lot of time, but the result is something that will do my music quickly and the results will be original. it is packed with my own music theories. howeevr universal, it will never saitsfie everybody
>


November 10, 2006 | 11:14 pm

itchyhead..do you have links to downloadable max sequencers? i’ve not found any useful ones other than Lgrid. i’m not really interested in traditional step sequencers, more like GUIs for different length notes or curve drawing stuff. i like technoui alot, but it seems to slow my computer right down and its parameters arent accessible to me


November 12, 2006 | 4:21 pm

I did it with a matrix and some buffers, works great. I use the sequencer for various installations:

http://www.beatnologic.com/site/content.php?id=350&chapterid=1&title=joyBeam%20at%20REMF

http://www.beatnologic.com/site/content.php?id=312&chapterid=4&title=Lightbox%20Sequencer


November 12, 2006 | 9:11 pm

I usually use commercial sequencers (Ableton first of all) just to send Midi messages to Max.
So I can use automations and other features that in Max are not easy implementable.

Anyway, this is a drum-machine that I made, but, of course, it’s not properly a sequencer:

http://www.brunozamborlin.com/temp/BDrum-Machine.jpg

Bruno

————————————————-
- http://www.brunozamborlin.com -
————————————————-


Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)