Forums > MaxMSP

Is [select] too slow ?

July 1, 2014 | 9:27 am

Hi,
I have something counting (it’s not a [counter] object, as it does fit what I’m doing) from 0 to 2000 quite rapidly (something between 2 and 4 seconds), and I want to have a bang each time the counting hits 1000 and 2000.
If I try to use a [select 1000 2000], it seems like the counting is going to fast for it. If I scale the counting between 0 and 200 it [select] reacts ok, but the value is not precise enough for what I’m trying to do. I need to use a larger scale like 0 to 2000.
What should I do ?
Thx
J.

• This topic was modified 4 months by  Crampe.

July 1, 2014 | 9:36 am

You should make a small simple concise example and post it.

July 1, 2014 | 11:38 am

you need to set overdrive on . Menu>Options>Overdrive !
#EDIT
if it doesnt work then make sure that there are no issues with whats is causing counter to count ,or post a patch

July 1, 2014 | 12:50 pm

What about [> 1000] -> [change] -> [sel 1]?

July 3, 2014 | 9:38 am

There’s no compelling reason why [select] should be too slow" for anything. It’s more likely (or at least just as likely) that there is some problem caused whatever’s doing the counting. All you tell us is that it isn’t [counter], but you don’t tell us what it is. The latter would be a lot more helpful.

I will join in the chorus: give us a small patch demonstrating the problem.

(And, if you haven’t already, please check the instructions on using Copy Compressed… from the Edit menu for posting.)

July 3, 2014 | 10:03 am

And lest there be any doubt about the speed of the select object (or about whether the problem is in the select object or in your own counting method), try this test:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

July 4, 2014 | 4:37 pm

maybe its just the button object what doesnt flash and in fact the bang is produced? :)

July 5, 2014 | 4:46 am

Hi,
thanks everyone for your help. I’ll try to post an example before the end of the week-end, I don’t have really have time right now. (No Roman Thilenius, that’s not what is happening :-) )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)