Is there a true mono vst~ out there?

Jul 12, 2006 at 10:37am

Is there a true mono vst~ out there?

As we know, the vst~ demands a minimum of 2 inputs. I really need a true mono one since I do not wish to just stick a mono signal into both. Does anyone know if there is a Frankensteined vst~ object/external out there which does this?

Jul 13, 2006 at 12:44am

I think you can specify the number of outlets for the vst~ object with an argument. Also, you could query the number of outlets with the plugin with a get something or another message and create a pseudo mono to stereo or mono to whatever environment.

I see this is your first post. If you’re new to max, I think the vst~ object and such can only be understood when you understand the manual as well as the tutorials. Sorry if thats not the case. I see a lot of new max users jump to the object or concept they’re after without fully understand the max fundamentals. If you haven’t done that, now is the time to do so.

binez0r

Jul 13, 2006 at 7:57am

Indeed I am new to Max, however I think you will find that the manual does not specify the limits of I/O, although the vst~ help file does tell us that the default/minimum for both is 2. I am after a true mono version since Altiverb cannot see mono IRs when it inserted into a stereo buss, so ‘shorting’ the inlets/outlets will not change its status. That is why I was asking about ‘Ture’ mono!

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:32am

Quote: Jussy wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 01:57
—————————————————-
> Indeed I am new to Max, however I think you will find that the manual does not specify the limits of I/O, although the vst~ help file does tell us that the default/minimum for both is 2. I am after a true mono version since Altiverb cannot see mono IRs when it inserted into a stereo buss, so ‘shorting’ the inlets/outlets will not change its status. That is why I was asking about ‘Ture’ mono!
—————————————————-

there are no “mono” VST plug-ins – think of them as
1-channel plug-ins.

so if you insert a 1-channel plug-in into a 2-channel
host interface such as the vst~ object you only have to
connect the left inlet (and likewise if the plug-in also
only outputs one channel)

Jul 13, 2006 at 10:41am

Thanks, but you misunderstand. The limitation is with Altiverb. If it finds itself in a stereo slot (a la Max), it will not read its mono IRs. It will only see stereo ones. I need to use mono IRs, therefore I need Altiverb to believe itself to be mono, not just sending a stereo version a single signal. This behaviour can be verified by using Altiverb in ProTools or Logic and checking what it can see when inserted on either a mono or a stereo buss.
As far as I know, this cannot be overridden, so I need a pure mono vst~.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.