Forums > MaxMSP

Is there a way to duplicate objects while…

September 29, 2010 | 7:17 pm

maintaining a connection to a single object that is NOT being duplicated?

there seems to be a lot of redundant work involved with creating a 32 voice polyphonic synth

Apparently encapsulating inlets doesn’t work either

so far I have a single voice core with about 60 i/o points

September 29, 2010 | 7:36 pm

Surely you’re using [poly~] and not doing things 32 times?

September 29, 2010 | 7:49 pm

oh man….I read some short tutorial on the poly object and I was convinced i had to make 32 engines haha

September 29, 2010 | 8:58 pm

First off, [poly] and [poly~] are different objects.

I have a couple of examples on how to use [poly~] on my web site. On my examples page, there’s PollyWannaAllocate and StupidSynth, and on my main Max page there’s SimpleFMSynth

September 30, 2010 | 8:54 pm

excellent and thanks, I will explore them shortly

I think midi implementation is by far the trickiest part of max. So far I’m feeling really discouraged at transforming my stand-alone monosynth into a polyphonic midi device. It’s almost like I need a class on Max/MSP midi connectivity

September 30, 2010 | 9:11 pm

First question: Does the "in~" object allow me to circumvent the use of the parser object?

i noticed the poly~ object defaults to a single input, which in many cases has a translation structure on the other side of it for the receiving voice object

September 30, 2010 | 9:39 pm

A common solution is to [pack] control data and use the [target $1, $2 $3..] message(s) to the [poly~] inlet; you can of course add as many poly-inlets as you need. Peter Elsea (as well as Chris above) have provided some excellent ‘realworld’ examples of polyphonic midi-synths, using the [poly~] object.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)