Is there a way to Turn DSP On at startup?

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:16pm

Is there a way to Turn DSP On at startup?

I want my patch to be ready to use after launch.
I don’t want the user to have to turn DSP on by itself.
So I created a “loadmess 1″ linked to dac.
It didn’t work,so I set a delay for thi message.(100 ms)
then it wo, for me.

when I sent the patch to a friend on mac OSx as well, it stopped working.
I asked him to set a bigger delay ( 4 seconds) but it didn’t work.

Can someone tell me if there is reliable a way to turn DSP automaticly for max5 users on mac and PC ?

thanks a lot.

#38254
Jun 5, 2008 at 4:49pm

what about a loadbang with a delay or pipe?

#133128
Jun 5, 2008 at 4:50pm

I also found it strange that a loadmess 1 doesn’t work. I added a delay of 300 ms and then it worked, no problems with other computers so far.

Mattijs

Quote: olivier.seb@free.fr wrote on Thu, 05 June 2008 18:16
—————————————————-
> I want my patch to be ready to use after launch.
> I don’t want the user to have to turn DSP on by itself.
> So I created a “loadmess 1″ linked to dac.
> It didn’t work,so I set a delay for thi message.(100 ms)
> then it wo, for me.
>
> when I sent the patch to a friend on mac OSx as well, it stopped working.
> I asked him to set a bigger delay ( 4 seconds) but it didn’t work.
>
> Can someone tell me if there is reliable a way to turn DSP automaticly for max5 users on mac and PC ?
>
> thanks a lot.
>
>
>
—————————————————-

#133129
Jun 5, 2008 at 4:52pm

Quote: olivier.seb@free.fr wrote on Thu, 05 June 2008 09:16
—————————————————-
> Can someone tell me if there is reliable a way to turn DSP automaticly for max5 users on mac and PC ?
—————————————————-

This has always been problematic for me, too. In general for setup at load time issues what I do is have a loadbang in the upper left corner of the top-level patcher. This should be the last loadbang to be issued.

Then for specific things like turning on audio I use a combination of a delay and a deferlow for the message to dac~ / ezdac~

This seems to work pretty well.

-C

#133130
Jun 5, 2008 at 4:58pm

Quote: Chris Muir wrote on Thu, 05 June 2008 18:52
—————————————————-

> Then for specific things like turning on audio I use a combination of a delay and a deferlow for the message to dac~ / ezdac~
>

Ah, yeah, that is a good point. Don’t forget the deferlow after the delay.

Mattijs

#133131
Jun 5, 2008 at 5:10pm

After ten years of being frustrated by this problem I finally understand what is going on, and while a fix will not be forthcoming in the next Max 5 update, I hope to resolve it shortly thereafter. The problem is that turning on audio relies on a list of windows to find all of the audio objects, and this list is not fully initialized when a loadbang happens, even though all the objects are there. So a long delay and a deferlow are the best options right now, but even that isn’t guaranteed to work unfortunately.

David Z.

#133132
Jun 6, 2008 at 10:02am

On 5 Jun 2008, at 18:10, David Zicarelli wrote:

> The problem is that turning on audio relies on a list of windows to
> find all of the audio objects, and this list is not fully
> initialized when a loadbang happens, even though all the objects are
> there.

Wow – as the saying goes, “well caught.”

> So a long delay and a deferlow are the best options right now, but
> even that isn’t guaranteed to work unfortunately.

I have a little library system where a single loadbang kicks off a
metro/counter to broadcast a sequenced of timed messages over a period
of a couple of minutes – I can then hang receivers off this timeline
and make sure they fire in order with appropriate breathing space.

– N.

Nick Rothwell / Cassiel.com Limited
http://www.cassiel.com
http://www.myspace.com/cassieldotcom
http://www.last.fm/music/cassiel
http://www.reverbnation.com/cassiel
http://www.linkedin.com/in/cassiel
http://www.loadbang.net

#133133
Jun 6, 2008 at 12:10pm

It would be possible to keep toggling audio until it’s on.

_
johan

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
#133134
Jun 6, 2008 at 1:10pm

On Jun 6, 2008, at 6:02 AM, Nick Rothwell wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2008, at 18:10, David Zicarelli wrote:
>
>> The problem is that turning on audio relies on a list of windows
>> to find all of the audio objects, and this list is not fully
>> initialized when a loadbang happens, even though all the objects
>> are there.
>
> Wow – as the saying goes, “well caught.”

Indeed! Fixing this would be a happy happy thing.

For things that need initialization after audio is running I tend to
use [dspstate~] — [sel 1] — [delay 1] and the bang coming out from
the delay seems to work ok.

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

#133135
Jun 8, 2008 at 2:49pm

For an elaborate max patch that is supposed to run unattended I had
to come up with a really convoluted system of loadbang, trigger and
lots of delays. Took quite a bit of time before it worked more or
less reliably. Mind you, I also needed to load samples, presets,
colls, buffers etc. Tricky business…

I just made my first standalone app in Max 5, and sure enough, I
still need to delay loadmess in order to reliable boot the DSP.

Best,

Zip

Op 5-jun-2008, om 18:49 heeft Bradford Reed het volgende geschreven:

>
> what about a loadbang with a delay or pipe?
> –
> Chief Pencilina Operator and Manager
> http://pencilina.com/

#133136
Jun 8, 2008 at 5:07pm

For myself, I tend to use only one loadbang and some send objects that goes to the things I want to initialize. By placing these send objects from left to right, I can easily manage the priority of the initialization. In order to be sure that the DPS turns on, I put a delay of 2000 ms before the last bang is sent.

#133137
Jun 8, 2008 at 5:52pm

that’s a very smart of maaging priorities :-)

thank you for sharing this and thanks to all of you who posted to this thread.
Some precious infos were broadcasted.

Olivier

Quote: fakegolfer wrote on Sun, 08 June 2008 19:07
—————————————————-
> For myself, I tend to use only one loadbang and some send objects that goes to the things I want to initialize. By placing these send objects from left to right, I can easily manage the priority of the initialization. In order to be sure that the DPS turns on, I put a delay of 2000 ms before the last bang is sent.
—————————————————-

#133138
Jun 8, 2008 at 8:20pm

I tend to do this:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

On Jun 8, 2008, at 10:07 AM, Pm B wrote:

>
> For myself, I tend to use only one loadbang and some send objects
> that goes to the things I want to initialize. By placing these send
> objects from left to right, I can easily manage the priority of the
> initialization. In order to be sure that the DPS turns on, I put a
> delay of 2000 ms before the last bang is sent.
> –
> Pm B

barry threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA
Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew (at) gmail (dot) com
Web: http://www.barrythrew.com

#133139
Jun 11, 2008 at 12:53pm

jvkr schrieb:
> It would be possible to keep toggling audio until it’s on.

This is a smart idea, could also be used to trigger other
initialisations after audio had been switched on…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#133140

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.