Java / mxj question

Dec 16, 2006 at 11:08pm

Java / mxj question

Hi, I’m sure I’m just making a dumb mistake somewhere but I can’t seem to figure this out. Hello, forum wisdom!

I’m trying to create some new (or modify some existing) mxj objects. I installed the latest Java SDK and followed the instructions in the max .pdf about making Java externals. Everything worked up to the point of finding the javac.exe file to compile my objects. I went into the bin folder, where this file apparently is, but all I found was java.exe, javaw.exe, and javacpl.exe. None of these worked (as I imagined they wouldn’t).

Basically when I try to compile there’s an error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: C:Program FilesCycling ’74MaxMSP 4/6Cycling ’74javaclassestest_5/java
Exception in thread “main”

Compiling creates the .class file, correct? So when the compile doesn’t work, there’s no .class file. How does this relate to the error message above? Is it trying to find something that’s not there? I had thought the point of the compiling was to create this very .class file….

Windows XP, 4.6.2, java/jre 1.5.0

Any help would be great, I’d really like to get started writing stuff for Max in java. Especially after seeing Peter Eijes’ objects, it’s obvious there’s a ton of possibilities.

Thanks!
–CJ

Dec 17, 2006 at 9:03am

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:23pm

On 16 Dec 2006, at 23:09, Seejay James wrote:

> I went into the bin folder, where this file apparently is, but all
> I found was java.exe, javaw.exe, and javacpl.exe.

If you don’t have javac.exe, perhaps you installed the JRE (runtime)
rather than the JDK (development system)?

– N.

Dec 18, 2006 at 1:26am

that was it exactly. I was confused about all the various apps and files installed. thought I had the sdk but I guess not. got it now and I’m off!

thanks so much!
–CJ

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.