Java requirement for Max 4 Live

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:25pm

Java requirement for Max 4 Live

Noob question. I searched the forum but couldn’t find an exact answer.

Why is a Java runtime required to run Max 4 Live on Mac?

I consider Java a huge security risk and would rather not install it unless I don’t have another choice for using M4L.

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:52pm

If you prevent the installer from putting shovelware on your machine, disable the browser plugins and disable auto-update (for Java) – there’s no web-facing attack surface to worry about.

Non-issue.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:01pm

Thanks Johnny. I would do that anyway if I have no choice but to install it but it’s still a huge piece of bloatware.

So back to my question, what does M4L use in a Java runtime? Is it written in Java?

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:04pm

MFL, aka Max, has support for externals written in Java via the mxj and mxj~ objects.

Java is not used for anything critical in the running of MFL. It is not used in MFL at all unless a device contains a Java external. So you may be fine without it.

Cheers

-Andrew

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:37pm

Yep, it’s not required for the base install on Windows at all – I was sceptical about the case on OS X but unable to comment with any certainty.

Thanks Andrew.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:58pm

Thanks Andrew and Johnny.

It seems like at least on OS X it makes this a requirement because a M4L plugin window won’t even open unless Java is installed. Instead a text asks you to install Java for M4L to run.

If it’s really only used for external stuff then it would be great to make this optional on OS X too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.