jit.freenect.grab on 64 bit?

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:24am

jit.freenect.grab on 64 bit?

hello,
i am currently trying to update a patch of mine to 64 bit since i need more memory. and i am very badly missing the jit.freenect.grab external which only runs in 32 bit.

i asked the programmer, jean marc pelletier, directly and this was his reply:
“Hi, sorry, I don’t have any time to dedicate to this project anymore… It’s open source, so if some enterprising soul (wink, wink) wants to have a stab at re-compiling, that would be great.”

now… since i never compiled anything myself i am wondering: might there be any ‘enterprising soul’ out there who is working on this?

best
k

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:43pm

Hi Karl,

I’ve just updated the old project to the max6 sdk, and compiled a 64+32bit external.
It loads fine in both 32bit and 64bit flavors of max, but at the moment I don’t have a kinect here to test and don’t know if it actually works.

It’d be great if you’d have a moment to give it a try.
In case it doesn’t load, please copypaste the contents of the max window so I can see what’s going on.
In case it loads but doesn’t work properly please try to describe what’s happening.

Hope you’ll have some fun with it!

Cheers,
nesa

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:57pm

hey,
i’m a little bit in a hurry but this is tremendously cool you are at this! thank you so much!!!
i tried to load it into max running at 32 bit and 64 bit but it doesn’t load yet, see the output of the max window below (i think the error message is the same for both versions).
best
k

32 bit:
jit.freenect.grab: unable to load object bundle executable
2013-07-17 22:51:24.271 Max[726:c07] Error loading /Applications/Max 6.1/Cycling ’74/jitter-externals/jit.freenect.grab.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.freenect.grab: dlopen(/Applications/Max 6.1/Cycling ’74/jitter-externals/jit.freenect.grab.mxo/Contents/MacOS/j
it.freenect.grab, 262): Library not loaded: /Developer/jitfreenect64/libfreenect/build/lib/libfreenect.0.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/Max 6.1/Cycling ’74/jitter-externals/jit.freenect.grab.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.freenect.grab
Reason: image not found

64 bit:
jit.freenect.grab: unable to load object bundle executable
2013-07-17 22:52:45.943 Max[734:c07] Error loading /Applications/Max 6.1/Cycling ’74/jitter-externals/jit.freenect.grab.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.freenect.grab: dlopen(/Applications/Max 6.1/Cycling ’74/jitter-externals/jit.freenect.grab.mxo/Contents/MacOS/j
it.freenect.grab, 262): Library not loaded: /Developer/jitfreenect64/libfreenect/build/lib/libfreenect.0.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/Max 6.1/Cycling ’74/jitter-externals/jit.freenect.grab.mxo/Contents/MacOS/jit.freenect.grab
Reason: image not found

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:02pm

p.s. the error does not occur on load but as soon as you make an instance of jit.freenect.grab and this instance is as well beige (like it is with nonexisting commands)
k

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:25pm

Aha, thanks for the report, it’s my bad – the external is not statically linked to libfreenect so it would only work if you have it preinstalled.
I’ll look into it tomorrow, but if you need it urgently and don’t mind compiling you can follow the install instructions at:

https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect

cheers,
nesa

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:05am

Allright, here’s the statically linked version, it works on both 32/64 bit versions. This is the last version in the main branch, one by Jean-Marc and it still has some quirks.

I’ve been working on this external now and then, with bugfixes and some new features – I hope to polish it up in the following few weeks and release it, so check this space for updates:)

Thanks for testing!
nesa

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:03pm

I basically duplicated your efforts, but here’s a git repo with the same thing. This is a 64-bit-only build.
see the release page for .mxo download:
https://github.com/brianchasalow/jit.freenect.grab-64-bit/releases
or the git page for src:
https://github.com/brianchasalow/jit.freenect.grab-64-bit

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.