Forums > MaxMSP

jit.gl.sketch/line problems. messy inaccurate line drawing.

April 5, 2012 | 9:43 am

Hi guys,

Just for laughs, I’m creating a 3D digital score. The idea is based loosely on John Cages Variations I, with points and lines determining different variables.

My problem is this:

When I go to draw in the lines connecting points, these lines are messy, inaccurate, and in general are badly behaved. It worked fine before I incorporated line objects in, but I did so in order to make drawing the lines smooth and measured, in general to be easier to read by a/the performer.

If anyone has any advice regarding this it would be much appreciated. I’ve attached the patch for your convenience.

Attachments:
  1. draftlines.maxpat

April 6, 2012 | 4:29 pm

hello. if you’d like some help with your drawing issues, your best bet is to post a very simple patch that demonstrates how you are drawing, and what the problem your having is.

April 9, 2012 | 6:20 am

no worries, i’ll whip one up now. cheers.

April 9, 2012 | 7:45 am

right, here is what i’m trying to do. i’m trying to use random numbers to generate x y and z coordinates, and then draw lines between them. in the main patch, i store them in a coll. here i just use 6 instances of the random object. i’m still getting skewed lines even at this level.

Attachments:
  1. linedemo.maxpat

April 9, 2012 | 6:19 pm

what do you see that is wrong with the output generated from this patch?

April 10, 2012 | 3:38 am

My intention is to draw one smooth line between two randomly generated points. Currently my output is a bunch of lines drawn instantly, and one that slowly draws.

April 10, 2012 | 4:43 pm

ok, i see now.

first, you’re moveto needs to happen before the lineto messages are sent.

second you were using a pak instead of pack to send your lineto messages, so a message was being sent every time a value outputs from one of the ramps, rather than a single message containing all three ramps.

and last, i switched your line to a bline, so that you can synchronize the output of the three ramps, rather than have them output using their own internal timers.

you may also want to take a look at the gl.path object, which has @evalin and @evalout attributes to allowing you to animate the path drawing from a single ramp.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 11, 2012 | 9:00 am

Thanks alot, much appreciated. I’ll be sure to look at the gl.path object too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)