jit.LadyBug2 and jit.Bumblebee2

May 11, 2010 at 3:04pm

jit.LadyBug2 and jit.Bumblebee2

So I had a little success with the point grey cameras using libdc1394 version 2, only I’ve hit a few roadblocks and hoped this would be the place to ask for advice.

I can get the 6 images from the ladybug but because it’s something like 4 million pixels it’s painfully slow. As I also mentioned in another post because the image is tilted 90 degrees the bayer filters that come with libdc don’t work.
- Is there any way to optimize the process of reading an image from memory?
- What about a very efficient way of turning the image 90deg with in the jitter SDK before applying the bayer filter?

I’ve used the same principles to craft jit.bumblebee, but I haven’t been able to get it to output a matrix. I think the problem might be that the pixels are RAW 16bit interleaved, but I’m not sure if Jitter can handle that the 16bpp? Or maybe is there a way to deinterleave the stereo pair in Max so I don’t have to do that from scratch before I can even test it?

The last thing I can’t get working properly is the open and close messages. How do I initialize the camera on the open message if the init has to happen in the jit class?

Thanks.

Attachments:
  1. jit.bumblebee.zip
#50325
May 16, 2010 at 4:19am

I have the same hardware purchased for a project but never used. I am very interested in your progress, will check out your zips.

#180535
May 17, 2010 at 2:41pm

Great! As a result of my bad programming, the following has to be entered into the ladybug in order to get an output that won’t crash Max. Not sure yet how to solve it yet so the dimensions are more dynamic.

jit.ladybug2b 3 char 1024 4608

#180536
Oct 26, 2010 at 6:25am

any progress with this?
I have gotten no where.
At Siggraph this year I tried to make Point Grey see the wisdom of making Max and Processing object available for their hardware. They looked at me like I had a mackerel sticking out of my ear.

#180537
Oct 26, 2010 at 4:54pm

Nada. I’m hung up on these three issues:
1. Image processing of ladybug is likely too much for Jitter to handle.
2. Rotation of image makes prepackaged bayer filters useless. Rotating the image before applying the filter adds an extra copy so it’ll slow it down even more, and I don’t have the time or proficiency to write/fix a new one.
3. Bumblebee2 still gives me an error trying to set the ISO speed no matter what I change it to. Should be 800, but no love. I get the same error with Antoine’s av.jit.iidc externals too.

Still interested and my Jitter SDK chops are getting better, but my C still leaves something to be desired… :P

#180538

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.