Forums > Jitter

jit.net.* with RTP instead of TCP

September 3, 2010 | 11:48 pm

I am working on a project dealing with high quality, low-latency video over a gigabit network.

I was working with jit.net.*, but i found that at some point it would drop a bunch of frames and get really slow when the video is too high of quality or there is a small bump in the connection. I attributed this to its using TCP instead of RTP.

My question is why is this object using TCP which insists on confirmation and correct ordering of every packet instead of RTP which would be much better for real-time video projects?

Does anyone have a workaround or another object that could suit this situation better?

September 6, 2010 | 10:48 pm

Hi Yotam, I have suggestion that doesn’t answer your question regarding protocols, but may be a workaround. I don’t know what resolution and framerate you’re shooting for, but a simple trick for reducing your bandwidth by 50% is converting your video to uyvy colorspace before transmitting it. It definitely makes a big difference. Also you should check you’re not sending redundant frames, meaning your metro speed should not exceed the actual fps for your video or you can just use the "unique 1" attribute. hope it helps..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)